Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's harder: Marathon running or 12 rounds in ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The posters here need to really look at pace when it comes to running.

13 MPH is actually not slow. That's speed 20 on a treadmill (UK). Try it and see.

This is a top level speed.

If people jog at a 6 hour pace then that is different and easy. 4 hours is decent for an average guy.

3 Hours is very good.

Anything under is very impressive.

2 Hours is the fastest guys give a few mins.

Now of course being beat up by a pro is no joke. Getting a busted lip or nose is painful. I am just putting it out there that we are thinking about fighting a pro, so think about running at the speed of a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      How do you think running a marathon on a world level compares to twelve rounds of boxing?
      I can't possibly answer that. In both, if you're pushed far outside your comfort zone it becomes a test of will as well as skill/training.

Marathon runners can push themselves to near death in their quest for glory and riches. Surely those that do had a harder-day-at-the-office than does a top-ranked fighter walking over a stay-busy opponent.

All in all I would say that boxing is harder (it's the constant change of pace, the pressure of dealing with another human being who's in your face, the emotional ups-and-down, the pressure to keep your cool when nothing is working out).

But let's not think that marathoners don't have pressure, aren't being tested and pushed by those running next to them. The training and the ability of top marathoners is phenomenal. They run a marathon at a 5 minute per mile clip. The training they put in. The will to push through the pain. I don't think it's fair or possible to point to one as truly harder than the other.
      Last edited by bklynboy; 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Ring, obviously

Comment

Originally posted by Unseen View Post
          Well if you say 12 round pro fight then try running your 6 miles in under 30 mins once.

If you can do the 6 miles in under 30 mins then that gives you an idea of the pace a pro marathon guy is doing, but of course for another 20 miles to go.
          Yeah I get your point, I can not fight at the pace of a pro for 12 rounds and I can not run at the pace of a marathon runner for 26 miles, but I was just going off my little slice of experience based on my capabilities.

Both events are hard on the body, science and so forth may say a marathon is more taxing on the body (hitting the wall etc) but I just feel as though a full length pro fight would take more out of you than a long run.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
            I can't possibly answer that. In both, if you're pushed far outside your comfort zone it becomes a test of will as well as skill/training.

Marathon runners can push themselves to near death in their quest for glory and riches. Surely those that do had a harder-day-at-the-office than does a top-ranked fighter walking over a stay-busy opponent.

All in all I would say that boxing is harder (it's the constant change of pace, the pressure of dealing with another human being who's in your face, the emotional ups-and-down, the pressure to keep you're cool when nothing is working out).

But let's not think that marathoners don't have pressure, aren't being tested and pushed by those running next to them. The training and the ability of top marathoners is phenomenal. They run a marathon at a 5 minute per mile clip. The training they put in. The will to push through the pain. I don't think it's fair or possible to point to one as truly harder than the other.
            In the end, I think that's the fairest conclusion. Most of the replies here seem to assume that we're talking about a marathon at a jog, or at a sub–par pace, while the twelve rounds are fought at a torrid rate. I believe that, at the very highest levels, it's not so easy to say that boxing is harder...although I think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SthPaw View Post
              Yeah I get your point, I can not fight at the pace of a pro for 12 rounds and I can not run at the pace of a marathon runner for 26 miles, but I was just going off my little slice of experience based on my capabilities.

Both events are hard on the body, science and so forth may say a marathon is more taxing on the body (hitting the wall etc) but I just feel as though a full length pro fight would take more out of you than a long run.
              I agree a 12 round pro fight would do more damage to your body. You will be getting cuts, maybe broken ribs etc...

I use to not really understand runners until I started though. I didn't really respect them until I trained at 5 min mile pace. I tried it once and couldn't do it. I literally felt there was no air and that my legs were getting burned. I am heavy at 211lbs so it hurts your feet to run so fast for so long, especially on a road where it's all bumpy and you have moments where you run up an incline unlike a treadmill which really helps you.

For me, I didn't see the speed of a marathon runner on TV as that fast, but try it for anyone who has doubt. I challenge someone to do only 6 miles at 30 mins. If that is too hard try only 3 miles at 15 mins. That's when you realise these guys are tough as fuk too.

A pro with a time of 2 hours 6 mins runs a mile at 4.40 Min a mile.

I can't even do 1 mile at that time I don't think. Can anyone here?

Comment

Well doing any athletic competition at a professional level is difficult, of course no one here can run a marathon at a pro pace getting off the couch or even if you put in a ton of effort because you are talking about freaks the best of the best.

Now sure different people will have different issues and one may be harder for some than others, but for the average person I would think they would choose to run over box, a ton more people take up marathon running late in life than boxing as less people end up seriously damaged from running as opposed to boxing.

It also comes down to the mind, if you believe something is easier it will be easier, if you are marathon running you are running against the conditions (hot, cold, rainy, windy) which can be difficult and yourself (keeping proper efficient form). You have that in boxing also but a whole other layer of another person going against you, sure you race against others but it is the clock you are truly against and the clock is just ticking up~

Comment

Originally posted by Unseen View Post
                  I agree a 12 round pro fight would do more damage to your body. You will be getting cuts, maybe broken ribs etc...

I use to not really understand runners until I started though. I didn't really respect them until I trained at 5 min mile pace. I tried it once and couldn't do it. I literally felt there was no air and that my legs were getting burned. I am heavy at 211lbs so it hurts your feet to run so fast for so long, especially on a road where it's all bumpy and you have moments where you run up an incline unlike a treadmill which really helps you.

For me, I didn't see the speed of a marathon runner on TV as that fast, but try it for anyone who has doubt. I challenge someone to do only 6 miles at 30 mins. If that is too hard try only 3 miles at 15 mins. That's when you realise these guys are tough as fuk too.

A pro with a time of 2 hours 6 mins runs a mile at 4.40 Min a mile.

I can't even do 1 mile at that time I don't think. Can anyone here?
                  This MUST be a joke. Tennis is harder than running. Boxing is MILES harder.

Imagine the pain Gatti felt as he got up from Wards body shot. Imagine the pain Ortiz was in when Lopez was hitting his broken jaw. That's on top of how heavy your arms and legs start to feel, how breath control gets harder. This is an insult to Boxers.

Comment

Also I would say, most top boxers could probably be pretty good distance runners at least below cruiser weights. I do not think most top distance runners could be quality boxers but there are some (Philip Holliday I remember was a distance runner who also boxer).

Comment

Originally posted by ImStillHere View Post
                      This MUST be a joke. Tennis is harder than running. Boxing is MILES harder.

Imagine the pain Gatti felt as he got up from Wards body shot. Imagine the pain Ortiz was in when Lopez was hitting his broken jaw. That's on top of how heavy your arms and legs start to feel, how breath control gets harder. This is an insult to Boxers.
                      Film yourself running a 4.40 min Mile and say it is a joke. Please do, I will wait, or film yourself doing a simple 6 miles at 30 mins please. Not even close to a marathon distance.

Let's see how you feel.

I am begging you to try. Please do it, please.

Comment

Working...
                      X