Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What style of a fighter was Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What style of a fighter was Roberto Duran?

Your thoughts please.

In his prime as a lightweight Duran was a swarmer with excellent boxing skills and one punch KO power.

Comment

I'd say Duran was a counter puncher first and swarmer second, constantly applying intelligent pressure, making the opponent miss and make them pay everytime.

Comment

A slick boxer-puncher who could brawl if necessary.

Comment

Tough to pigeon-hole, as his style would vary according to the opponent, but for the most part he was a boxer-puncher. He would also become a brawler/swarmer on occasion. The quintessence of the boxer-puncher mode would be vs Davey Moore; the quintessence of the brawler/swarmer mode would be vs. Leonard I.
          Last edited by Panamaniac; 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            A slick boxer-puncher who could brawl if necessary.
            In all of his fights (that I saw) at 135, Duran took the action to his opponents from the opening bell. He never gave them a chance to set up any type of offense.

Comment

He was one flexible guy. He liked to get on the inside, but hell yes, he could counter-punch!

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                I'd say Duran was a counter puncher first and swarmer second, constantly applying intelligent pressure, making the opponent miss and make them pay everytime.
                This. Counter puncher through and through.

Comment

a swarming pressure fighter with heavy hands n inside moves that came like a sixth sense. check the buchanan fight, when buchanan applies the standard clinch, roberto intermitently forces thetop of his head under buchanan's chin and into his windpipe. with someone else duran defeated the clinch by positioning his elbows into the opponents arms and dug them in to beat the clinch. one i remember very well, not the exact round but late in the davey moore fight while moore attempting to hug duran for dear life, roberto shoves moores head back with one glove and socks him in the face with the other hand. take just about any one of durans fights prior to his fortieth birthday (not hearns, hagler,leonard 2 or benitez tho) and watch them at half speed n u will b amazed at what u see. he was really incredible.

Comment

Boxer-puncher was the first thought that came to my mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X