Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather-Pacquiao update: Arum says South African initial inquiry was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather-Pacquiao update: Arum says South African initial inquiry was made

Promoter Bob Arum, while saying that Jeff Mayweather is factual about somebody wanting to bring the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao Super Bout to South Africa, also remarked Tuesday that "I'm not holding my breath" waiting for a follow up.

According to the 79 year old head of Top Rank Promotions, an initial approach was made.

"I think the people who have contacted Jeff have come to us as well," Arum said. "But I don't know whether to put much stock into it because where it leads, where it goes, I am not sure.

"There has been no follow up, that's true. Whatever information you have about what Mayweather (Floyd's uncle, a trainer and a former Top Rank handled boxer) is saying is whatever you have. I have not spoken with Jeff Mayweather."

Arum also said there was some confusion about a date the South African interests would want to hold the fight, probably the richest in ring history. Former president and international icon Nelson Mandela, a boxer in his youth and still a big fan of the sport, turns age 93 on July 18.

"They mentioned November to us but Jeff is talking about the summer and saying July. Down there, November is in the summer."

Arum said the presence of Mandela's daughter at the recent Los Angeles Sugar Shane Mosley-Pacquiao May 7 bout (slated for Las Vegas) LA press conference may be related to the inquiry from South Africa.

In an earlier story I wrote today, longtime promoter and SA native Cedric Kushner said neither he nor veteran SA promoter Rodney Berman heard any such rumblings in their homeland.

In other Pacman news, Arum may have put the final kibosh on rumors about conditioning guru Alex Ariza walking the plank.
    "I don't where this spit starts," Arum said. "Alex Ariza is 100 percent with Team Pacquiao. He's also 100 percent with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. He's leaving in a day or two for the Philippines."

Arum said he pl;ans to fly to Pacman's Baguio training camp on March 19.

Ariza and world champ Amir Khan recently had a controversial separation.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Mayweather-Pacquiao update: Arum says South African initial inquiry was made - National boxing | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-na...#ixzz1FOVzH8Zv
    http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-na...quiry-was-made

I thought Floyd was going to fight Mandela daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
      I thought Floyd was going to fight Mandela daughter.
      and I thought *******s used to be somewhat funny

Comment

Working...
      X