Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had Marciano not retired would Patterson have become champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had Marciano not retired would Patterson have become champion?

I'd say it had been highly unlikely as his glass jaw would most likely succumb to the Rock's power...

i think he probably would have dethroned rocky, but gotten ktfo in the rematch.

Comment

I agree withn you

Comment

Patterson would have been kept far away from Marciano. Everyone (including me) liked Floyd, but he was probably the most protected heavyweight champion ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Patterson would have been kept far away from Marciano. Everyone (including me) liked Floyd, but he was probably the most protected heavyweight champion ever.
          How would that be possible when his goal was to be the youngest heavyweight champ ever? If Rock holds the title he would have to fight him. Besides, Floyd himself was brave as he insisted on fighting the bigger & stronger Liston twice...

Comment

I think Patterson could match Marciano in power and skill, but somewhere over the 15 rds Floyds chin fails him and he gets KTFO with the fight even or Patterson slightly ahead

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
              How would that be possible when his goal was to be the youngest heavyweight champ ever? If Rock holds the title he would have to fight him. Besides, Floyd himself was brave as he insisted on fighting the bigger & stronger Liston twice...
              Patterson was brave, but his manager wasn't. He fought Liston because it had become a joke how long he had been ducking him. Never defended against dangerous contenders like Machen, Foley, Williams, etc. Fought some second level contenders instead and got dropped more than once.

I once asked Patterson on a call in TV show if he regretted not getting to fight Marciano. Without even hesitating, he plainly said "no". True story.

Comment

i think the likely scenario is a rehash of the walcott fight, Floyd boxes his way to an early lead but at some point the Rock catches him and its lights out. i don't see Rocky doing a Liston to him. BUT having said that a young prime Floyd v an aging Rock is no certain thing and it is possible that Floyd would have handed Rocky his first loss - i just don't think its likely.

Comment

After watching Archie Moore give Marciano hell in the Rock's final fight. Who honestly would have predicted Patterson's masterful display against Moore to win the title? By KO too! The guy was ludicruously quick.

If the fight hadn't actually happened how would a poll '1956 Archie Moore vs Floyd Patterson who wins?' go down in these parts? I think most would pick Archie and probably by KO. Floyd's chances at head to head matches are often overlooked due to his less than stellar chin......but it didn't always let him down.

Patterson could be quite superb at times and a victory over the Rocky that met Moore wouldn't be by any means ridiculous.

I'd put my money on the Rock pulling off a late/behind on points victory in 1956. But an upset wouldn't be a huge surprise......

Comment

I like Marciano to knock Patterson out. Floyd would have a chance with his insane speed and his skills but ultimately i see Rocky closing the ring down on Floyd and knocking him silly with a big right hand or two fisted attack. Floyd's chin would let him down im afraid. Patterson had Power too though and as solid as Marciano was i could see him hitting the floor early on but he'd get up and put it on the rabbit

Comment

Working...
                    X