No announcement yet.

Dissecting Golovkin's MW Reign

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Barty View Post
    So if I don't think GGG is an overrated bum, then I'm racist? LOL.

And you're actually accusing GGG of avoiding N'Jikam? Seriously? That's comedy cold right there. And the fact that N'Jikam once passed on a mandatory shot because he would have had to fight GGG makes it even funnier.

As for Sturm... GGG made quick work of the guy who beat him and got robbed.
    ...and made quick work of the guy who has an official win over Sturm. GGG's reign is more known for the names that are missing from his resume than who he's actually fought. The cold hard fact is, fighters can only fight those who are willing. 3G has to be built in a way that takes longer than what fans want due to that fact. He would be in a higher position if Sturm didn't avoid him years ago. He's going to become an A-fighter @MW by crushing all the fighters around him til he's the only one standing and there's not one doubt that he's THE BEST. In the process, he stays in top shape and his fanbase and mythos as the MW boogeyman grows.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 10-19-2014, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Barty View Post
      So if I don't think GGG is an overrated bum, then I'm racist? LOL.

And you're actually accusing GGG of avoiding N'Jikam? Seriously? That's comedy cold right there. And the fact that N'Jikam once passed on a mandatory shot because he would have had to fight GGG makes it even funnier.

As for Sturm... GGG made quick work of the guy who beat him and got robbed.
      I'm not saying GGG ducked anyone, I'm just saying that fight was there to be made and N'Jikam turned down his shot AFTER the Stevens bout

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        not saying he beats him, just saying he is a better opponent than some 70% of gggs title run
        How did you come to that assessment on Martin Murray? Before Bursak, he never had a win over a top 30 MW. He gave Martinez & Sturm tough fights, but that's as much due to his opponents being past their prime and Murray's large size than anything to do with his ability. Martinez was dealing with injuries and Sturm struggling with weight and was being taken the distance in close fights with everyone he fought in that period. Murray should've lost to Khomisky last year and looked lousy against 'The Black Roy Jones Jr'. Almost all of Golovkins recent opponents save Ishida would likely beat him. Adama gives Murray a hard night.

I also don't see the logic behind pushing a Cotto fight in order to define Golovkin. People should recognize that as a farce of a fight and I'm disappointed in Golovkin even calling Miguel out. A hobbled Martinez & semi-retired WW Delvin Rodriguez don't erase the fact that Miguel was beaten by smaller and/or less skilled fighters than Golovkin. Forget Margarito, Pacquiao, and Trout, Clottery was able to impose his size & durability on Cotto. Cotto at MW is simply a marketing scheme for an Alvarez fight.

Comment

Almost no champion can compare with Hagler who fought a top 4 middleweight about 4 times a year. Hagler had tough guys that actually wanted to fight him for his title. GGG wants to be like Hagler and fight the best available middleweights 4 times a year. He consistently fights the best middleweight who will agree to fight him. Until guys like Quillin, Martinez and Cotto agree to fight him there is nothing more he can do. GGG will fight the very best that will agree to fight him time after time. He has already KOed many top 10 world rated welterweights and I think he will KO any Middleweight in the world. The hard part is getting them in the ring but after that they don't last very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
            How did you come to that assessment on Martin Murray? Before Bursak, he never had a win over a top 30 MW. He gave Martinez & Sturm tough fights, but that's as much due to his opponents being past their prime and Murray's large size than anything to do with his ability. Martinez was dealing with injuries and Sturm struggling with weight and was being taken the distance in close fights with everyone he fought in that period. Murray should've lost to Khomisky last year and looked lousy against 'The Black Roy Jones Jr'. Almost all of Golovkins recent opponents save Ishida would likely beat him. Adama gives Murray a hard night.

I also don't see the logic behind pushing a Cotto fight in order to define Golovkin. People should recognize that as a farce of a fight and I'm disappointed in Golovkin even calling Miguel out. A hobbled Martinez & semi-retired WW Delvin Rodriguez don't erase the fact that Miguel was beaten by smaller and/or less skilled fighters than Golovkin. Forget Margarito, Pacquiao, and Trout, Clottery was able to impose his size & durability on Cotto. Cotto at MW is simply a marketing scheme for an Alvarez fight.
            Murray arguably did worse against Sturm than Macklin, and obviously did worse than Geale. Martinez was a broken man and still pulled out a decision. Other than those fights Murray looks average or bad against average to bad competition. He's completely overrated, and if he finally grows a set to step in the ring with GGG, he'll get disposed of in quick, easy fashion.

I don't think Golovkin fans want Cotto himself so much as the belt. When Martinez had it, we wanted Martinez. Cotto has it now, so we want Cotto. If Alvarez wins it, we'll want Alvarez.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say he has already KOed many top 10 world rated middleweights.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                Now, I want a proper BOXING discussion, none of this fan boy crap where some people just think GGG is God and will not debate or discuss beyond that point or idiotic haters who can't see beyond racial, ethnic etc hatred.

Now I confess, I didn't know much about GGG before his Proksa fight some 2 years ago, however I did know he was this big central Asian puncher with dynamite in both hands. What I was not prepared for was just how good he was in terms of all round ability, something that just can't be denied. He moves well, can cut off the ring, know when to throw punches and how many of them he needs to throw, rather than falling in love with his power and getting wild (see Jackson, McClelan, Benn etc).

Having said all that, GGG has equaled Hagler's record of 12 title defences...and that's sad because Hagler's run as champion was so far superior that it's almost laughable that these two fighters, one a certified ATG and the other a champion who has only just started working his way into the upper echelons of the MW division, should ever be compared. But they will be. It's the way of the boxing press, to start calling for historical comparisons where there are none.

He won his "championship" after Sturm was promoted to the ridiculous WBA super champion status and he won it off of a career light middleweight. But that is the way of many modern champions, however, since then, he has fought other career light middleweights, has-beens and guys who should never have gotten a title shot. Along the way he's picked up the ridiculous IBo belt.

Since his arrival on HBO some two years ago, he has had 8 bouts, only 2 of which have come against legitimate contenders, those being Geale (former champ) and Macklin. Were Rosado and Ishida really worthy of title defences? Was Curtis Stevens, who was on the rebound of a once promising career more worthy than say...N'Jikam? That's a fight that was available and still is.

I know QUillin doesn't look like he has the balls to face anyone with a pulse and the timing for Martinez was all wrong. It's a weak reign by a dominant fighter. The Cotto fight may happen but I think GGG needs to step it up and take no **** from his promotional team, get him Murray, N'Jikam, take a massive pay cut for Cotto, move up to 168 for Ward/Froch and not Junior.

This is what I think anyway.
                N'Dam, the fight was available except for the part where N'Dam ducked him

Comment

He passes the eye test and he's obviously got world class power, but how can you anooint him when he has yet to fight a soul? Some people just reach for straws, they see Golovkin and they think he can be good for the sport so they make false, outrageous claims.

Personally, I was watching this sport when Pavlik fought Rubio and made him quit in his corner in 7 rounds. This message board condemned Pavlik for defending against bums. Why? Was Pavlik not cute enough? Not Borat enough? Didn't have a ******ed accent? Is it because Ronda Shemale Rousey didn't go to his fights?

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                    He passes the eye test and he's obviously got world class power, but how can you anooint him when he has yet to fight a soul? Some people just reach for straws, they see Golovkin and they think he can be good for the sport so they make false, outrageous claims.

Personally, I was watching this sport when Pavlik fought Rubio and made him quit in his corner in 7 rounds. This message board condemned Pavlik for defending against bums. Why? Was Pavlik not cute enough? Not Borat enough? Didn't have a ******ed accent? Is it because Ronda Shemale Rousey didn't go to his fights?
                    It was actually after 9 rounds and Rubio earned his shot against Pavlik with good win over the bigger Enrique Ornelas.

In this political landscape how can you anoint anybody anymore. Unless you're a massive cash cow like Floyd or Manny, or like Oscar was, you just can't pick to fight all the top fighters in your division.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

Everything you say is true but still Cotto is recognized by many as the lineal middleweight champion of the world and that's why GGG wants to fight him. I considered GGG the real middleweight champ for almost two years now when Martinez refused to fight him even though he had been the number one challenger for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                      X