Collapse
No announcement yet.

any tips on using philly shell defense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips on using philly shell defense?

I really wanted to avoid using the philly shell, but 2 things:

i have a tendency to cover up when punches are being thrown at me and end up being in handcuffs, so i want to try and break out of that habit and 2nd....

when im not covered up, i find myself in a philly shell stance. it just seems natural to me. maybe ive watched too much mayweather tapes. but whatever it is, i decided i should at least add it to my arsenal.

any advice that you guys can give that you have found while trying it out in sparring/a fight?

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post

i have a tendency to cover up when punches are being thrown at me and end up being in handcuffs, so i want to try and break out of that habit and 2nd....

when im not covered up, i find myself in a philly shell stance. it just seems natural to me. maybe ive watched too much mayweather tapes. but whatever it is, i decided i should at least add it to my arsenal.

any advice that you guys can give that you have found while trying it out in sparring/a fight?
    1st there is no such thing as 'The Philly Shell'. Bad info has been passed down. This blog will clear that myth up for you (http://controlisfun.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/the-shoulder-roll-mayweather-toney-locche-no-no-ideas-original-with-joe-gans/)

If you listen to this video carefully and dont get caught up in the names being talked about. You will learn why 1 might want to fight with their shoulder in the front. Beyond that if you have any questions about this particular guard, email me. Peace

Comment

I've found it very successful, but the key is staying on balance. If you can catch one or two shots with your shoulder, roll with them and come back with shots of your own I've found opponents start to question their offense. Where you can run into problems is if guys push and pull you while attacking and you get caught square trying to defend against six or more shots. I got comfortable with this defense by sparring with less skilled guys and built it up from there. Two things: 1)I've found that staying on balance with the weight on the balls of my feet is key 2)you've got to be ready to lock down your opponents arms if you get off balance by coming in to him and tying up the biceps.

Just my experience in brief good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
        Are you being honest here? Because I'd put money on you actually wanted to use the philly shell, but someone along the way told you that you should learn the traditional methods for blocking and hand placement first, and you gave it a go, but it was hard cause you hadn't been working on it as much as the shell and now you want to give it up?

Maybe that's not you, but thats what I see most the time.

Honestly if you're getting handcuffed alot, the solution to the problem isn't "switch to a philly shell" defense. You have a leak in your game that needs plugged, the philly shell will just be a bandaid not a solution.

What was your reasoning for wanting to avoid using the shell?

If you're comfortable with it, I don't see any reason it shouldn't be in your arsenal.
        Last edited by DIB42; 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Keep your lead shoulder high, tuck your chin low... always have that back hand protecting your jaw. Prepare for lateral movement and NEVER take your eyes off your opponent.

Comment

you need to be very athletic to use it effectively, i use it at times as well when i'm on the ropes

protect your chin with your lead shoulder and your jaw with your right hand

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
              Are you being honest here? Because I'd put money on you actually wanted to use the philly shell, but someone along the way told you that you should learn the traditional methods for blocking and hand placement first, and you gave it a go, but it was hard cause you hadn't been working on it as much as the shell and now you want to give it up?

Maybe that's not you, but thats what I see most the time.

Honestly if you're getting handcuffed alot, the solution to the problem isn't "switch to a philly shell" defense. You have a leak in your game that needs plugged, the philly shell will just be a bandaid not a solution.

What was your reasoning for wanting to avoid using the shell?

If you're comfortable with it, I don't see any reason it shouldn't be in your arsenal.
              yeah being honest man. i wanted a more techincal style approach with good head movement and ducking and slipping on the inside but im usually taller than everyone i fight so i figured that wouldnt be a good idea. i thought it might be a good idea because im more available to throw counters

Comment

As somebody who uses it more often than not, I would recommend shadow boxing, hitting the bags, and doing mitt work in that stance to really get comfortable in it. You can't just switch into the philly shell and be good at it, you need a lot of practice. You also need to posses very good reflexes as well.

Comment

why dont u just use quick feet to get the eff out of the way and circle off?

Comment

Originally posted by i_am_a_champ
                    why dont u just use quick feet to get the eff out of the way and circle off?
                    I do.thats my first line of defense.however sometimes im tired of moving, or just plain tired.i need a back up plan

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                    X