No announcement yet.

Genaro Hernandez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genaro Hernandez

On March 22, 1997 Genaro “Chicanito” Hernandez fought for his second world title facing the toughest battle of his career as he faced the WBC Super Featherweight Champion, Azuma Nelson. Nelson was a vicious and talented fighter who had fought for the WBC title more than 20 times and won. The two fighters challenged each other early in the fight but Chicanito lead the fight up until the seventh round when he was caught by Nelson and hit directly on the throat, clearly after the bell had rung. Chicanito, who was in visible pain, laid on the floor for minutes, which threaten a stoppage on disqualification and would have automatically named Chicanito as the new champion; however, Chicanito showed the heart of a lion by saying “I want to win it like a real champion.” He then got up and continued to box. Chicanito dominated the remainder of the fight and was declared the winner by a split decision, capturing the WBC Super Featherweight title. Chicanito went on to defend his WBC tile three times defeating Anatoly Alexandrov, Carlos Hernandez, and Carlos Gerena.

Genaro “Chicanito” Hernandez retired with an impressive record of 38 wins, only two loses and one draw.

Gernaro Hernandez was a fantastic fighter.. a Featherweight Thomas Hearns

Comment

It deserves noting that Azumah Nelson was 38 years old when Hernandez fought him, although Nelson had been on a possibily decptive terror at the time with TKOs of Ruelas and Leija. I also can't help but think that Hernandez continued in that fight knowing Nelson was having a lackluster night, and not continuing would cry for a rematch, which of course is a recipe for destruction by Nelson.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        Gernaro Hernandez was a fantastic fighter.. a Featherweight Thomas Hearns
        And still is a fantastic fighter... I read somewhere that he's recently beaten cancer..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          And still is a fantastic fighter... I read somewhere that he's recently beaten cancer..
          Well said man. I still remember how people posted sites...so that we can make some donations and at the time I really had nothing to give. Then having to look at his recent pictures; really felt sorry for the guy. Once I knew he survived cancer, it lifted the weight off my chest. Still a fantastic fight

Comment

Working...
          X