Can Cotto surpass Trinidad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Cotto surpass Trinidad

As Puerto Rico's modern day boxing icon--
    Or even in general, resume wise. Does Cotto have the chops to produce a more memorable career than his predecessor?

Originally posted by Hyper Knuckles View Post
    As Puerto Rico's modern day boxing icon--
    Or even in general, resume wise. Does Cotto have the chops to produce a more memorable career than his predecessor?
    UMM NO! Tito was boxing royalty, I love Cotto but there is something missing, not skill-wise but Tito was a puncher, you would watch his fights expecting a K.O. and the visible passion he brought to the ring with him, always smiling on the walk up and destroying fighters inside of it and not to mention he had the best hype man/ boxing promoter of all time in Don King. I have the highest respect for Cotto a true gentleman, but to me Tito was on a different level completely

Comment

Idk, gd question. Had he beaten Floyd, he would def surpassed him.

Comment

He needs to beat Mayweather, Pacquiao, or Martinez to merit consideration. And I don't if he'll fight any of those three in the remainder of his career. He'll beat Trout, then hopefully Canelo. After that, a match with one of those three and if he wins, it's open to debate.

Comment

Yea probably not.

Maybe if he scores an impressive win over Martinez which likely won't happen.

No shame in that though...while I wasn't a huge fan of Tito he was a bad man.

Comment

Cotto is past prime, he can never surpass Trinidad. If he was still in his prime he very well could.

Comment

No... Simply put, Tito was better. Cotto is a very good fighter who wont beat the great fighters of his era. That's pretty much all there's to it

Comment

Nah I don't think so.

Tito is easily the most beloved fighter the island has ever produced and I don't see Cotto surpassing him there, especially this late in his career.

Resume wise? I think it's too late for that. Miguel is already past prime & has been in quite a few wars that have been very taxing.

If he beats Trout, Canelo, Pac in a rematch, and then Sergio @ 160 for his belt, than I'd be quite comfortable in saying that Cotto has the better resume.

But as I wrote already, I highly doubt he'd be able to do all of that, especially now.

But even if he doesn't surpass Tito that's nothing to be ashamed of. He's still a HOF & one of the best PR fighters oat.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                  No... Simply put, Tito was better. Cotto is a very good fighter who wont beat the great fighters of his era. That's pretty much all there's to it
                  ummm.... what "great" fighter did tito beat????? joppy?

he lost to dlh

sweat pea was over the hill

his best win is vargas... i dont think vargas should be considered "great"... mosley is greater.. and cotto beat him. mosley also had success after the cotto loss.

Comment

technically Tito is really a better boxer than cotto, but when it comes to resume's i think cotto's resume is also up there depending on how you'll judge it. The love for tito will always be greater, but cotto is really really something for them to be proud of. Now he's lacking time, but if he beats sergio, trout, canelo then we can talk again. How I wish he never fought pac though, but man has balls of steel.

Comment

Working...
                    X