Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm Overqualified For All The Jobs I Applied To?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] So I'm Overqualified For All The Jobs I Applied To?

So as many of you know I got the shaft from my last job and been on the grind for a new job and even considering much lower pay for a job locally close by.

I applied and got about 5 interviews since then. All of the interviews went really well. I am good at interviewing mostly because I've been on the other side of interviewing cause of my management experience for the last 9 years or so.

I've been in senior management level for about the last 7 years and I've been making a good six figure salary for the last several years.

So basically all of the recruiters, HR and managers who call me in for an interview are blown away by my resume, and how well I do in the interview process so much so that they either decide to not hire due to me being too over qualified, maybe cause they assume that their salary is too low or I'd leave as soon as a better job hires me, or that I might steal their job or their next promotion?

I keep telling them that I want a complete career change and if that involves them paying me at entry level pay then thats fine, but they seem to not believe me and basically give me the boot.

But why even call me in if you are going to do that? or Why have me sit there for like 4 hours meeting with 3 of their managers eating up a whole day of their work day?

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I mean it seems I'm pretty much at a disadvantage because of my resume and past experience. One of the recruiters even told me that her own husband was in the same boat and his resume would scare off everyone as well.

Some of my friends are telling me to dumb down my resume and interview and not speak so well when interviewing? I'm like WHAT?

To me if someone came in with an extensive resume like mine and they truly explained that they wanted to start over I would hire that person because they have a proven track record of success already and loyalty to their previous jobs verses some unproven new college grad or a guy with a weaker resume.

I'm kind of stuck in a weird place as you can see.

That does sound pretty crazy, shouldn't be any such term as "overqualified", you are either qualified or you aren't but perhaps your friend is right about lying a little if it will get you to your goal of just getting something secure. Since you have so much experience you should quickly impress supervisors with your competence on the job so you could move up faster.

I don't know why they would waste hours of yours and their time though but it has happened to me where I applied for jobs, they specified exactly on the phone what position I was applying for, then when I got there I was told they didn't have an opening for that job but we have this other job you probably don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      That does sound pretty crazy, shouldn't be any such term as "overqualified", you are either qualified or you aren't but perhaps your friend is right about lying a little if it will get you to your goal of just getting something secure. Since you have so much experience you should quickly impress supervisors with your competence on the job so you could move up faster.

I don't know why they would waste hours of yours and their time though but it has happened to me where I applied for jobs, they specified exactly on the phone what position I was applying for, then when I got there I was told they didn't have an opening for that job but we have this other job you probably don't want.
      One of the recruiters didn't even look me in the eyes or listen to my responses she kept going: "uh huh uh huh" as if she already decided not to even put me through because of my resume and salary history.

In my head I was like CUINT why you even call me for an interview if you gonna be this rude and not even take my interview seriously?

I bet she couldn't even remember anything I said.

Comment

Did you get any severance pay from your last employer?

Comment

That's an insane position to be in.

Have you considered unemployment to hold you over until you find a new job? I'm pretty sure you'll qualify, I milked unemployment when I got out of the military because **** em that's why.

If that doesn't work; as your friends advised you, dumb down your resume.

Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
            Did you get any severance pay from your last employer?
            no basically as I explained in my previous thread the company did a bunch of us senior management and senior employees dirty, they basically wrote us a carefully legally advised letter stating that we are on forced leave without pay or benefits and we are not sure if we will be asked back or not for the time being.

by doing so they are avoiding severance or officially declaring us terminated for legal responsibilities.

yes we were done shady wrong

Comment

There's a poster around here who earns 'six figures' he can help you!!!

You'll get hired eventually

Someone will be blown away by your resume.

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
                I can sympathise with what you're saying. Although this may be a different scenario, one of my lecturers used to repeativly tell a story of once he attained his PhD that people started to doubt his ability. Apparently he was too academic to perform the job that he applied to although he had multiple years of experience in different job roles within his industry.
                yeah i also heard about that too how people with advanced degrees had to literally take them off their resumes so that companies would even consider them.

i only have a Bachelors Degree just cause i never had time to get a MBA cause i was working nonstop and kept working my way up the ladder.

Comment

they were paying 6 figures to a guy that didn't know how to use Excel?

Comment

Working...
                  X