Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did mark breland reach his potential?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the MSG network in NY did a special program about Breland that I caught a couple months ago.

They show his NYC golden gloves wins at the Garden, as well as other amateur fights. He looks like Tommy Hearns 2.0, a 6'2 welterweight with devastating power. Wins the gold medal, ring magazine names him prospect of the year, looks like a future ATG

But he looks very average to me in his first title win against Volbrecht, the south african paper champ in 1987. I think that is the main reason, he wasn't as good as his amateur pedigree suggested. He seemed to get hit way too often by punches that should not be landing. His power was good but not at the Hearns/devestating level. Questionable stamina.

He appeared to have a greater pro skill set based on facing amateur competition than was actually the case. You see it all the time in many sports.

He reminds me of Reggie Bush in a way. Bush looked like a dynamic gamebreaker all world running back in college. He turned out to be a decent starting RB in the NFL, nothing more, still a successful career. That's Breland's boxing story pretty much.

Comment

I think Breland never developed the physical strength a real pro needs to compete at the top. Yes, he could always punch....but he seemed easy to manhandle by the better guys who were able to wade past his whip-like punches and go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
        I think Breland never developed the physical strength a real pro needs to compete at the top. Yes, he could always punch....but he seemed easy to manhandle by the better guys who were able to wade past his whip-like punches and go to work.
        Good point. Breland was so much bigger than his opponents that most people just assumed he would be stronger too.

Comment

Working...
        X