Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do mayweather fans overrate his win over hatton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    You're joking, right?

How could Hatton be the most credible when he wasn't even in the division? And the last time he was seen at 147, he was holding on to Louis Collazo's knees for dear life?

But I guess Margarito wasn't credible. Nor Williams. Nor Cotto. Just Hatton.

Dude, a lot of people saw the fight for what it was - big money.
    Margarito comming off an L to Pual Williams was more credible then Hatton. You must rate that Golden Johnson win pretty highly.

Comment

You're joking, right?

How could Hatton be the most credible when he wasn't even in the division? And the last time he was seen at 147, he was holding on to Louis Collazo's knees for dear life?

But I guess Margarito wasn't credible. Nor Williams. Nor Cotto. Just Hatton.

Dude, a lot of people saw the fight for what it was - big money.
      Correctamundo

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
        when they are the same people putting hatton down before the fight saying he was too small, too slow, no jab etc.

makes me sick. :bottle:
        Yea talk about crying.....

Comment

Originally posted by Melly-Mel View Post
          how is a win aginst a champion, and p4p fighter anything short of a great win?
          When it's against Ricky Hatton in 2007? I just don't get it. I've posted this before but here was the post I made in response to someone arguing that Hatton's win over Castillo meant he was a live 'dog against Floyd--this was a couple months before the fight:

Yes, I do believe Castillo grew old overnight. Kinda like how Corrales did. The guy is 33, has initiated more wars than the Bushes and was fighting the first opponent who was stronger than him. Fighters like him don't go too far past 30 in those weight classes anyway.

He looked absolutely dreadful against Reyes, following that spectacular KO of Corrales. And that was the first REAL sign. When was the last time you've seen Jose Luis Castillo start out slugging...and then opt to box? He got tagged plenty in that bout, looked slower and sluggish. And then turned around and looked equally sluggish against Ngoudjo.

Throw in the countless battles he's had, the struggles to make weight, and then fighting a powerhouse 140-pounder and what do you get? You know a fighter is on his last legs when he just doesn't want to get up off the canvas. Not disrespecting the man but he's lost a lot of juice.

Why do I say Floyd's a stronger fighter? First, his strength is extremely underrated. For a guy who has little pop, he sure surprised when he rocked the sturdy chin of De La Hoya. And he won plenty of battles in the lower divisions on the INSIDE - Chavez, Augustus, and many other bouts where he showed those skills. Flip in the first Castillo bout (you know, the one you told me to go watch?) and skip to rounds 10 or 11 (it's been a while). Listen to Roger tell Floyd to get on the inside and fight. And then watch the round and tell me Floyd can't fight inside. You haven't seen it as much as he's encountered welters.

Hatton, on the other hand, didn't look like the overpowering warrior against Louis Collazo, not the strongest guy in the division, with far less skill than a Mayweather. And he won't be overly powerful against Mayweather, who is thanking his lucky stars that someone is coming UP in weight to fight him, instead of a natural welter or junior middle.

I like Hatton, I think he's a good champ and can dominate the 140lb. division for years. He's a smart fighter - listening to his quotes about Kostya prior to their bout, one could see that he'd spent a lot of timing watching what Phillips did to him. Couple that with his fighting style and it was all over for Tyszu.

But his strength - his greatest attribute - will be neutralized by moving up. It'll look even worse against a p4p talent like Floyd. Floyd will potshot him on the outside and make him pay when he comes in - like Collazo did in the later rounds. And Floyd will work that body too. I expect Hatton to start fast but fade in the middle as Mayweather puts on his best performance in years. 8th round TKO. Hey, I've been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHA O`MEGA View Post
            floyd got alot of **** for fighting him.
            no he didnt, we had been waiting for that match for years and it came to a head in 2005 with mayweathers win over gatti with hatton at ringside having just demolished kostya tszyu, everyone couldnt wait to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              Margarito comming off an L to Pual Williams was more credible then Hatton. You must rate that Golden Johnson win pretty highly.
              Nah. But I think a close decision loss to Paul Williams is better than barely scraping by Louis Collazo. Just my take.

Comment

I would dare to say for the same reasons that fans of any fighter overrate something the fighter they like has done.

Comment

Nah. But I think a close decision loss to Paul Williams is better than barely scraping by Louis Collazo. Just my take.
                  You act like Collazo is a terrible fighter. Hatton was the right fight at the time and they are of similar size. Margarito lost, Paul wasn't fighting at that time and Cotto made the Mosley fight about the same time as Hatton-Mayweather. It was the best fight out there for Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
                    when they are the same people putting hatton down before the fight saying he was too small, too slow, no jab etc.

makes me sick.
                    because hatton was billed as the guy to defeat mayweather.... and he got KTFO....

Now answer mine.

Why does margo suck at limbo?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                      You act like Collazo is a terrible fighter. Hatton was the right fight at the time and they are of similar size. Margarito lost, Paul wasn't fighting at that time and Cotto made the Mosley fight about the same time as Hatton-Mayweather. It was the best fight out there for Floyd.
                      I don't act like Collazo is terrible - but would you compare him to Paul Williams?

Exactly.

Was absolutely the wrong fight for Floyd and was ALL about money. Everyone knew that, are you kidding me? But yeah, it was the best fight for Floyd...if he was still at 140.

Comment

Working...
                      X