Broner will re-ignite American interest in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jel View Post
    Their not.
    They are the biggest boxing draws which equates to **** all.
    750 Million watched the World cup.
    Floyd and Manny sells 1-2 million PPV. A tiny **** portion.

Let me pull out some stats that I can prove.

Muhammad Ali vs Ernie Shavers was watched by 50% of America.
    Go look it up.
    50% of the ENTIRE country.
    This was a rapidly shot Ali too.

If Ali was in this era, he will be doing 10 million PPVS.
    Do you even know how PPV buys work? First of all 1 ppv buy does not = 1 person. Any PPV that does close to 1 million is watched by around 10 people per buy. As the buy rate goes over 1 million the number of people watching also increases. Secondly. that's US PPV buys only. JMM vs Pacman was watched by an additional 40 million in the Phillipines and another 40 million in Mexico alone. The over all global audience for a major boxing match is huge. For example Haye vs Wlad was watched by 500 million. Thirdly, he was clearly talking about PPV draws.

Something like Mayweather vs Cotto would have had around 20 million people watch in the US by PPV. To compare, before the advent of PPV on HBO Frazier vs Ali was watched by 13 million people. The market share for TV ratings wasn't even that big enough to support TV ratings like you say for Shavers-Ali. The most watched US tv show ever is Mash with 105 million. I think the most watched sporting event was a superbowl with 90 million but I'm not sure. At no point has half of the US population tuned in for anything.
    Last edited by croz; 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I can see it. They keep putting guys in there and he Knocks them out like he did demarco. Yes they will.

Dude has allota flav and is growing on me outside of the ring. If he keep it controversial in a good way like jokes and keeps fans involved. Sky is the limit for sure!

If he's the guy who ko's manny any floyd... it's OVER! HAIL THE KING!

Comment

there is no need to reignit anything. america loves boxing

Comment

It's possible. But I think it will be a slow process.
          If Team Broner is interested in burning it quickly,
          he needs to skip fighters with insignificant names.
          Start spreading the wildfire by fighting the likes of
          Rios, Marquez, Bradley, Garcia, Matthysse, Khan...
          Beating one of these guys would propel him quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
            I don't believe you
            believe it. i woke up this morning and almost all of my family are still talking about Broner. all casual fans too.

this kid is going to be big if he keeps winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
              Their not.
              They are the biggest boxing draws which equates to **** all.
              750 Million watched the World cup.
              Floyd and Manny sells 1-2 million PPV. A tiny **** portion.
              how are you gonna compare something shown for free vs something you have to pay 60$ for? lol not a fair comparison, and world cup happens every 4 years. Not the same at all

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                Do you even know how PPV buys work? First of all 1 ppv buy does not = 1 person. Any PPV that does close to 1 million is watched by around 10 people per buy. As the buy rate goes over 1 million the number of people watching also increases. Secondly. that's US PPV buys only. JMM vs Pacman was watched by an additional 40 million in the Phillipines and another 40 million in Mexico alone. The over all global audience for a major boxing match is huge. For example Haye vs Wlad was watched by 500 million. Thirdly, he was clearly talking about PPV draws.

Something like Mayweather vs Cotto would have had around 20 million people watch in the US by PPV. To compare, before the advent of PPV on HBO Frazier vs Ali was watched by 13 million people. The market share for TV ratings wasn't even that big enough to support TV ratings like you say for Shavers-Ali. The most watched US tv show ever is Mash with 105 million. I think the most watched sporting event was a superbowl with 90 million but I'm not sure. At no point has half of the US population tuned in for anything.

Do you enjoy living in your own delusional world where boxing is still a premier sport in the United States.

This entire thread is talking about the United States and boxing popularity, you bring up a whole list of ******ed moronic figures world wide.

Nobody said boxing is dying in Europe or Mexico, but it is clearly a fringe sport in the US.

If you need me to politely explain to you why boxing is a fringe sport in the United States and bring out facts on it's declining popularity, I will.

Man. As I read your post again, I can't help but think you are a Klittard who just wanted to slip in some Wlad-Haye numbers...

Let me say this one more time little boy.

Boxing is a fringe sport in the United States that rarely gets talked about and it is widely accepted opinion that boxing needs an AMERICAN heavyweight to re ignite.

Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by VVho View Post
                  how are you gonna compare something shown for free vs something you have to pay 60$ for? lol not a fair comparison, and world cup happens every 4 years. Not the same at all
                  You guys are way over estimating the

'oh if Floyd was on free tv, he'll get giant views too' theory.

It don't work like that. IF ABC honestly thought boxing was a premier sport, they would have put Floyd Fights on ABC.

The main networks don't want to risk it because they know more than you.

Floyd fighting on NBC will probably max out at NHL Hockey Playoff numbers.

If Floyd or anyone was capable of doing even NBA Playoff numbers on main stream tv, main stream tv would have brought it.

Comment

people just make threads about any random thought that comes through their head

Comment

No 135 pound fighter is re igniting shyt.

The only reason Floyd and Manny got so much hype is because there was no Tyson.

If there was a Tyson around today, Floyd and Manny will be fighting on his under cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X