Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst video games you've ever had the misfortune of playing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst video games you've ever had the misfortune of playing?

No, this isn't another thread in which I will hate on 'Resident Evil 6'.

As gamers we've all been there - You either get amped up about a title in production and buy it at the drop date, or you just pick one up randomly at a retail outlet because it looks decent enough, then you get home, pop it in, and the disappointment begins to creep in. This is the thread where we share stories about said disappointments.

I'll get it started with a few titles off the top of my head.

Vampire Rain (Xbox 360) - I didn't actually pay for this overpriced abomination, my brother picked it up at Gamestop years back and gave it to me after a mere 10 minute run. Also, note how I state that it's overpriced despite the fact that my brother only paid 3 bucks for this massive turd - It's so ****ing terrible that even 3 dollars is asking too much.

If there's any storyline to this game at all, I can't even recall. You start the game as some faggy 'Sam Fisher' wannabe investigating the sudden appearance of vampires in whatever lame city you're supposed to be located in. Where to start when trying to sum up this facepalm of a video game?

The first thing you'll notice is how terrible the graphics are for a 360 title - The textures are all muddy and flat and the character design is very minimal and blocky. I've seen PS2 titles with far better graphics than this abortion.

The next thing you'll take note of is how laughably bad the voice acting is. I'm sure many of your are either old enough or fans enough to remember how awful the voice acting was in the original 'Resident Evil' on the PS1, right? The voice acting here is just as bad, if not worse.

Next up is the level design, or more to the point, the lack thereof. You have a map you can pull up on your HUD (which looks like it was lifted from a Windows '95 game, BTW) to help you navigate the area you're in, but many areas on your map which appear to be accessible are actually inaccessible, due to invisible walls blocking your path. To top it off, these areas aren't marked on your map, nor is your objective, so you spend a lot of time wandering around trying to figure out where the hell you're going, only to run into invisible wall after invisible wall and trace your steps all over again.

That brings us to the combat in the game - You have a selection of standard third person shooting game weapons such as a pistol, sniper rifle, assault rifle, etc.... The problem is that these weapons take ****ing forever to kill a single vampire (who roam the streets randomly). The game places emphasis on stealth as opposted to combat, because the vampires in the game are twice as fast as your character and kill you with 2 hits - The first of which knocks you down immediately, and the second will finish you off before you even manage to get back to your feet.

You can't even run from the vampires because your character moves at a rate twice as slow as the vampires do, so if you can't sneak past one, you're ****ed. On your map icon it will show vampires and their "sensing area", that is, a red circle in which they will immediately sense your presence if you even get within 20 feet of it, at which point they will immediately detect and bumrush you.

Furthermore the vampires will detect you even when you're successfully sneaking above them on a ledge or drain pipe, and they can perform vertical leaps of like 30 feet, and your character can only climb down/up a pipe, or shimmy a ledge at a rate of like 6 inches per second.

The entire game seems to be set up to piss you off as quickly as possible. It gives you ****ty graphics, clunky controls, overpowered enemies, poorly designed levels, and then had the balls to give you a bunch of highly underpowered weapons KNOWING you're going to try to use them, just so they can punish you even further for even having the audacity to try it.

I can sum up how horrid this game is with one truthful statement about the gameplay itself : Your combat knife requires ammo....Allow me to repeat that so the stupidity of the statement can fully soak into your grey matter - Your KNIFE requires AMMO in order to use it.

Last edited by ßringer; 10-05-2012, 03:04 AM.

Laser Invasion was one of my worst gaming experiences from childhood. Oh, and Final Fantasy VIII of course.

Comment

Die By The Sword for PC

I was shopping with my mum when I was a kid and she kept picking out awful games and i'd be like nah, but it was buy 2 get one free, so she was like "this one looks good" and I felt sorry for her so I got it.

It was absoloutley dreadful, the graphics were an abomination, the controls sucked ass, and it was glitched to high heaven, seriously you couldn't go 5 minutes without your character falling through the floor and into the void.

The other two games that I picked out were Half Life and Baldurs Gate, so i didn't bother much with this one, but I remember it as being proper ****

Take a look at this ****

Comment

The Spec Ops series on PS1. Horrible.

Comment

Game of Thrones sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            Die By The Sword for PC

I was shopping with my mum when I was a kid and she kept picking out awful games and i'd be like nah, but it was buy 2 get one free, so she was like "this one looks good" and I felt sorry for her so I got it.

It was absoloutley dreadful, the graphics were an abomination, the controls sucked ass, and it was glitched to high heaven, seriously you couldn't go 5 minutes without your character falling through the floor and into the void.

The other two games that I picked out were Half Life and Baldurs Gate, so i didn't bother much with this one, but I remember it as being proper ****

Take a look at this ****

Jesus ****ing Christ, Earl - THAT'S what I'm talking about! You not only give me a title, but a backstory, some input on the game itself, and a video for me to see for myself.

I was literally LOL'ing over here watching it. The animations are so terrible that when coupled with the ****ty soundtrack just makes for pure hilarity.

Comment

Back in the heady days of the ZX Spectrum there was a game called SAS: Operation Thunderflash. Out in 1986, the makers of the game found the essence of what it was like to actually be a soldier in one of the toughest elite regiments on the planet. They then did the exact opposite.

Played in the 3D isometric style that represented king shit at the time, this was a game so tough that few made it past the first screen. The object of the game was to free hostages and kill terrorists. This was virtually impossible.

SAS training teaches its soldiers to avoid ever shooting over any objects, even a knee high coffee table. The terrorists, having had no such training, were free to shoot wherever they pleased. SAS troops were also trained to waddle around spasmodically in the 3D plane and never aim their weapons where you'd think they should.

The whole thing was an utter mess. Plus it looked and sounded like this:

Comment

Call of duty or the old NFL gameday series, all i can remember right now.

Comment

Irritating Stick

Comment

bayonetta, truely terrible game imo, didn't last 10 minutes in my ps3 before taking it back

Comment

Working...
                    X