Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does nationality take a president for you when...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer the question in all honesty, it has in the past and to some degree it still does today. Like everyone else is saying, it has to do with pride.

If I were to explain it, I guess a big portion of it can be answered by just looking at what happens right here in this forum. If a Mexican cheats, then some people get all racist and let their true feelings come out about all Mexicans. If a Mexican gets beat up, it's more of the same, with name-calling and stupid jokes (hey, I can be a fan of ignorant humor in doses, but some of the ****e posted here ain't even funny to begin with, but gets co-signed by morons. At least make it funny, d*ckwads.). It's the trash talking after the fight that partly makes me want my fighter to win.

And since all Latinos are lumped in together here in the US ("hispanics"), I also tend to root for other Latinos. If two no-names are fighting, I find myself gravitating towards the Latino or the "minority." I guess it's about "identifying" with the fighter.

Another thing, I know this is weird, but no other sport is really written about the same way boxing is. It's perfectly natural to say the "Mexican or the Puerto Rican or the Filipino or the Russian, etc. was destroyed and brutally knocked out." I don't know about you, but I don't like reading stuff like "The [Your Ethnicity Here"] is a disgrace." Ha ha.

For me, personally, I've grown up my whole life hearing people talk down to Mexicans. One thing that I like about boxing is that a fighter, through skills and heart, can win the admiration of anyone on the planet. Even a racist scumbag boxing fan can maybe take a second and have to admit that a fighter of another ethnicity is talented and can show some respect back.

Hope I didn't get all kumbaya on you.

Comment

It all depends on who is fighting for me, though I do respect skills of fighters more than where they come from.

Comment

Nationality has an effect on who I am rooting for. Not as much as skill, passion, attitude, style. But it does have an effect. I am rooting for Omar Sheika to beat RJJ for all of the above except skill.

Comment

Working...
        X