Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the hell do I become a boxing judge?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxing is alive View Post
    Seriously, where do they get a lot of these guys from? Most of us score these fights better than these "professional" judges (although that's not saying much. It's like saying that you're the tallest midget in the room). Anybody know how to break into the business as a judge? Or is it one of those things that you have to know somebody i.e. agree to get paid off. Thanks guys.
    Serious answer..

It's a long process..

you first need to attend local boxing clinics..link up with your city's LBC president..and get certified for the amateurs as a ref/judge..you'll start at level 1 and have to work your way up in the amateurs before going on to the pro's which will take quite a few years..

good luck..oh and in the amateurs..it's rare to get paid..so don't think you'll do it as a side job with pay..it's mainly volunteer work.

Comment

there should be a form on your state govt website or USA boxing website you can fill out which, if approved, makes you eligible to volunteer to judge amateur fights after some training, clinics, orientation.

Thought I had the form for CA bookmarked, but i cant find it right now. Even before you fill that form out you could probably just go to as many am events as possible and start to ask familiar faces you see where these clincs might be. how you elevate into the professional ranks I'm not entirely sure but it will take a couple years of volunteer work before you prove yourself to be entirely competent and are able to network into the pro ranks.

Comment

Working...
      X