No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Adamek vs. Cunningham II: The Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Adamek vs. Cunningham II: The Pre-Fight Report Card

By Cliff Rold - Evander Holyfield-Dwight Muhammad Qawi I.

James Toney-Vasily Jirov.

Tomasz Adamek-Steve Cunningham I.

They are the arguably the three defining wars in the history of the Cruiserweight division. Saturday night, at Heavyweight, the last of them gets its sequel.

Long and often still regarded as Heavyweight’s bastard spawn, Cruiserweight has many times been a greater source of entertainment over the years than the more storied class. In the 2000s, as Heavyweight action fights seemingly went the way of the dodo bird, Cruiserweight filled the void.

Adamek and Cunningham were a memorable part of that decade and continue to ply their trade in exciting fashion. After falling short in a second fight with Yoan Pablo Hernandez in Cruiserweight title action earlier this year, Cunningham made his move up. [Click Here To Read More]

Adamek vs Cunningham I was a great fight but nowhere near the wars with the amount of exchanges and pure violence that Holyfield/Qawi and Jirov/Toney had.

Comment

Cunningham is being severely underestimated IMO. Not saying he's going to definitely win or anything, but nonetheless he's a legitimate top fighter. Hernandez and Ross are completely different animals, both are awkward southpaws. Who like to counter-punch, especially Hernandez who is deceptively explosive and quick.

Not to mention, Adamek hasn't looked very good at all in his last few outings since being battered by the Ironfist. Against Walker, he was being outboxed in spots, and was seriously hurt and dropped, and Walker to put it mildly is not on Cunningham's level, he may be bigger and punches harder but that's as far as it goes. Adamek was also being hit way too much for my taste against Aguilera who is a C level journeyman. He looked okay against Chambers, but when you consider Chambers was one handed, he didn't look very good.

I think both Adamek and Cunningham are past it. If Cunningham has his timing and speed, he should be able to control range nicely and keep Adamek at bay, because despite the fact Adamek is heavier this time around, he's nowhere near as explosive and aggressive as he was at CW, when he was in his prime IMO. If Cunningham appears to look sluggish carrying the extra weight, and his timing and speed appears offbeat, Adamek will win a UD. Cunningham has risen everything he's been dropped, I doubt anything different will happen this time around. Tough fight. With that being said, though.....

Cunningham shocks critics and observers, and wins a convincing 116-112 sort of decision. Also, Cliff, I saw you gave Cunningham a C for defense and Adamek a B- was it? Seriously? I've always felt Cunningham had better D. Especially now at HW Adamek has seemed to be easier to hit as of late.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
        Cunningham is being severely underestimated IMO. Not saying he's going to definitely win or anything, but nonetheless he's a legitimate top fighter. Hernandez and Ross are completely different animals, both are awkward southpaws. Who like to counter-punch, especially Hernandez who is deceptively explosive and quick.

Not to mention, Adamek hasn't looked very good at all in his last few outings since being battered by the Ironfist. Against Walker, he was being outboxed in spots, and was seriously hurt and dropped, and Walker to put it mildly is not on Cunningham's level, he may be bigger and punches harder but that's as far as it goes. Adamek was also being hit way too much for my taste against Aguilera who is a C level journeyman. He looked okay against Chambers, but when you consider Chambers was one handed, he didn't look very good.

I think both Adamek and Cunningham are past it. If Cunningham has his timing and speed, he should be able to control range nicely and keep Adamek at bay, because despite the fact Adamek is heavier this time around, he's nowhere near as explosive and aggressive as he was at CW, when he was in his prime IMO. If Cunningham appears to look sluggish carrying the extra weight, and his timing and speed appears offbeat, Adamek will win a UD. Cunningham has risen everything he's been dropped, I doubt anything different will happen this time around. Tough fight. With that being said, though.....

Cunningham shocks critics and observers, and wins a convincing 116-112 sort of decision. Also, Cliff, I saw you gave Cunningham a C for defense and Adamek a B- was it? Seriously? I've always felt Cunningham had better D. Especially now at HW Adamek has seemed to be easier to hit as of late.
        Chambers fight was way closer than the cards indicated and I have no doubt had Eddie Chambers not been one handed, he would have one.

Comment

Who is airing this fight? HBO? Showtime?

Comment

Originally posted by ricky1978 View Post
            Who is airing this fight? HBO? Showtime?
            Its on NBC at 4

Comment

Working...
            X