Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where does Lennox Lewis Rank among heavey weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Lennox Lewis looked as if he had 2 left feet and the shoes he was wearing were 6 sizes too big. His jab was nothing but a pawing distraction and when he threw a big shot he was off balance and ripe for the picking. He made a career off of fighting shot fighters who were at the end of their careers. His early knockout losses to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman made these journeyman fighters household names when they one punch KO'd Lennox Lewis into oblivion.

I can't even think of where he ranks but it isn't very high. For the Vitali comment above though I will say that while Vitali did look good the first 2 rounds, Lennox took over and pasted him until he looked like Arnold at the end of Terminator 2. Just because a guy wins 2 rounds doesn't mean that he would win the fight just because it was stopped. The way it was going Lennox was getting better as the fight progressed despite what the HBO team would have you believe. That was actually one of his better performances and Vitali got beat. Stoppage is a stoppage.

Vitali was two rounds up on all three judges cards at the time of stoppage. I watched the fight last week and didn't think Lennox looked good at all.....but it was a damn good fight to watch. Lennox did land two or three huge punches. Fair credit to Vitali's chin.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Vitali was two rounds up on all three judges cards at the time of stoppage. I watched the fight last week and didn't think Lennox looked good at all.....but it was a damn good fight to watch. Lennox did land two or three huge punches. Fair credit to Vitali's chin.....
      That was the ****test version of Lewis I have seen by far.

Flat footed, slow, plodding and gassed after 2 rounds.

Vitali was in his prime, yet was also gassed, at the point the fight ended they were both wheezing like 40 a day smokers, throwing sloppy ass punches from the floor, had it gone on another two rounds, who the **** knows what would have happened, contrary to Klittard opinion, Vitali was not "coming on strong" he, like lewis, looked on the verge of collapse. people say it was a good fight, but it was actually embarrasing.

Cosnidering the respective versions of each other, I can tell you how that fight would have gone prime for prime, very ****ing easily.

Lewis weathers an early storm for 2 rounds, Prime Vitali gasses (as he did in the fight) and Prime Lewis caves his face in with right hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
        That was the ****test version of Lewis I have seen by far.

Flat footed, slow, plodding and gassed after 2 rounds.

Vitali was in his prime, yet was also gassed, at the point the fight ended they were both wheezing like 40 a day smokers, throwing sloppy ass punches from the floor, had it gone on another two rounds, who the **** knows what would have happened, contrary to Klittard opinion, Vitali was not "coming on strong" he, like lewis, looked on the verge of collapse. people say it was a good fight, but it was actually embarrasing.

Cosnidering the respective versions of each other, I can tell you how that fight would have gone prime for prime, very ****ing easily.

Lewis weathers an early storm for 2 rounds, Prime Vitali gasses (as he did in the fight) and Prime Lewis caves his face in with right hands.

You might be right fella.

Comment

I also watched it last week and while Vitali started fresh, Lennox began to pick him apart. If he were ahead on the score cards then it seems to me as if he was being set up for a screw job.

In a fight where Tyson had lost every round, the judges had him winning at the time he was knocked out by Buster Douglas.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            I also watched it last week and while Vitali started fresh, Lennox began to pick him apart. If he were ahead on the score cards then it seems to me as if he was being set up for a screw job.

In a fight where Tyson had lost every round, the judges had him winning at the time he was knocked out by Buster Douglas.

I'm just sad we never saw a Lewis vs Klitschko return. But I totally respect Lewis's decision, its great to go out on top.

On the Tyson vs Buster Douglas front, there was certainly something not right with the judging. I believe one judge had Tyson ahead by a whisker, one had it scored correctly to Buster by a few rounds and the other had it even. Poor Buster might have been set up for a disgusting decision loss.

Also, check out the scores for Ali vs Foreman. Poor Foreman was being set up for a loss too......Of the 7 completed rounds the three judges between them had only awarded him 3 rounds out of a possible 21!
            Last edited by Sugarj; 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I'm just sad we never saw a Lewis vs Klitschko return. But I totally respect Lewis's decision, its great to go out on top.

On the Tyson vs Buster Douglas front, there was certainly something not right with the judging. I believe one judge had Tyson ahead by a whisker, one had it scored correctly to Buster by a few rounds and the other had it even. Poor Buster might have been set up for a disgusting decision loss.

Also, check out the scores for Ali vs Foreman. Poor Foreman was being set up for a loss too......Of the 7 completed rounds the three judges between them had only awarded him 3 rounds out of a possible 21!
              I actually agree with the Ali-Foreman scoring. On first view you get the impression that Foreman was badly outworking him, but on subsequent viewings you can see Ali picking him apart the entire fight and landing all the clean punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                I actually agree with the Ali-Foreman scoring. On first view you get the impression that Foreman was badly outworking him, but on subsequent viewings you can see Ali picking him apart the entire fight and landing all the clean punches.
                I agree, but Foreman at least won a couple of rounds.

Comment

Tyson, Douglas, Ali, Foreman... Any thoughts on Lewis, on a thread that bears his name?

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    I'm not simply talking about the McCall and Rahman fights. I've seen Lennox wobbled by less-than-steller shots plenty of times hence my use of the term "shaky chin". I'm not saying his chin is glass like Wlad's is, but I wouldn't exactly label it Lennox's strong suit either.

And btw, there's no way in hell the fight would have been stopped after Cooper's knockdown of Ali. Bad comparison.

Poet
                    Well, the only other times I've seen him get somewhat hurt was by Bruno and Briggs. Bruno landed a great right hand on him which sent him to the ropes. We all know Frank had very good power and had done the same to Tyson a few years before. Briggs came out like the hammers of hell and buckled Lennox putting him on the defensive. But, Lewis clearly didn't look hurt as he was aware and seeing everything coming at him. Were there any other times he had seemed rocked? I don't know. Refresh my memory.

Ali, Tyson, Louis, Marciano, Holmes, and many other ATG's were staggered/put down in some of their fights in similar fashion to the way Lewis was and they never really take any heat for it. But Lennox should?

As far as the Ali-Cooper and Lewis-McCall comparison I'm saying both Ali & Lewis got up at around 5-6 and were very much ready to continue. Neither one was knocked out and I'm sure you'd agree the ref stopping the fight in the latter was a bogus call.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      I'd have had Ali ahead after seven rounds, but Foreman probably deserved 2 or 3 rounds plus maybe an even round. Ali's greater accuracy was important but Foreman was landing the heavier blows. Ali's greater ring generaliship and defense could also be argued to be offset by Foreman's aggression (which is a scoring point too). Foreman was the champion too, usually the champion gets some sway with the judging of close rounds.

It was a fairly close fight before the stoppage. Basically Ali would have won that title for as long as he lasted the distance.

3 rounds out of a possible 21 for Foreman is shocking!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X