Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Does pacquiao's Skill Set Rank Among ALL TIME GREATS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Theres is where fans get goofy to me..........................check his bank account and tell me he's not ATG!!!!!
    Dafuck does a bank account have to do with being a boxing ATG? In that case, Bill Gates is the GOAT! Oh Pactards!

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      he was a vicious offensive fighter in his prime'
      vicious. his speed of hand and foot, as well as his power and willingness to throw combinations were what set him apart. in his prime he was a very accurate puncher.

his skills defensively certainly aren't on a tier with great fighters, but he made up for it with a hell of a chin and one punch knockout or fight changing power that carried all the way up to some of the biggest and most durable WW you will ever see. clottey was 170 on fight night for some of his fights. margarito was in the 160's. both had terrific chins. margarito was on the downside, but manny broke his face. he hit so hard josh clottey shelled up completely (and by all accounts nearly sh#t himself. literally.)

all of that said, it was the physical tools that pacquaio had that made him a great. he had some of the fastest hands and feet you will ever see on a boxer, with one punch power and a great chin to boot. oh, and he was a southpaw. one in ten men are left handed. that's a huge advantage that often goes under the radar, especially when a guy can punch.

I agree with your analysis.

I would though mention his heart, which is in my opinion as important ashis physical tools.

He not only was , in most cases, the smaller guy, but only improved his defense recently, when he started to slow down.
      He had to go there without any B-plan (if we exclude some occasional attempt at counter punching in his later years).

In my opinion Manny's heart is a crucial factor, you can be fast and powerful, but how many are determined enough to go forward without the slightest doubt after being punched in the face by bigger guys?.

Even a big name like Tyson, who had a way better technique and defense than Manny, showed his mental limits when he started to slow down.

Manny, even now , has enough heart to keep on coming at you. I never saw him give up in any fashion.

I though hope that Manny will not stick around for too long, his heart could put him in danger now that he is slower and older.

Comment

There's no denying his speed, power, chin, and southpaw stance carried him most of the way, but at his best his skills are probably underrated. He became a pretty good counter puncher, his movement could be very, very good, he could fight going forward and backward, and he could hit you with any punch without you having any idea it was coming.

Offensively the man was a machine, one of the most unique and best offensive fighters in history.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          There's no denying his speed, power, chin, and southpaw stance carried him most of the way, but at his best his skills are probably underrated. He became a pretty good counter puncher, his movement could be very, very good, he could fight going forward and backward, and he could hit you with any punch without you having any idea it was coming.

Offensively the man was a machine, one of the most unique and best offensive fighters in history.
          This really isn't true.

Comment

Working...
          X