No announcement yet.

A question for you.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] A question for you.

Reading over all of the articles about the sad events surrounding Paul Williams unfortunate accident have me thinking. Knowing that he had a big fight coming up, but still did something 'dangerous' and ultimately leading to his injury, should professional athletes have clauses put in their contracts forbidding them from doing things that could be detrimental to their physical health? Not just boxers but any athlete on a professional level who makes their money via contracts they sign.

What do you guys think?
    Yes
    27.78%
    No
    72.22%

would be sort of restricting since you do want to have fun even before a fight/event....but it is pretty sad when they injure themselves so the fight/event does not happen

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
      would be sort of restricting since you do want to have fun even before a fight/event....but it is pretty sad when they injure themselves so the fight/event does not happen
      It does seem unfair, but their bodies are their money makers and needed to fulfil the terms of their contracts, right? So being irresponsible with their safety will cost people money.

It's so tragic what happened with him, I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Bossy View Post
        It does seem unfair, but their bodies are their money makers and needed to fulfil the terms of their contracts, right? So being irresponsible with their safety will cost people money.

It's so tragic what happened with him, I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
        i heard he severed his spinal cord most likely he will be paralyzed but i do hope the best for him

it's up to them to be responsible before an upcoming event i mean they're old enough to make their own decisions....i'm not sure if williams was wearing a helmet when the accident happened

Comment

Nope; who's to say what's dangerous? Over 100 people die in car accidents -daily- in America, should they be forbid from driving at all?

It's awful, but bad things happen. None of us are promised tomorrow in any shape or fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
            i heard he severed his spinal cord most likely he will be paralyzed but i do hope the best for him

it's up to them to be responsible before an upcoming event i mean they're old enough to make their own decisions....i'm not sure if williams was wearing a helmet when the accident happened
            That is terribly sad Hopefully the wonders of modern science and medicine will be able to do something for him.

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Nope; who's to say what's dangerous? Over 100 people die in car accidents -daily- in America, should they be forbid from driving at all?

It's awful, but bad things happen. None of us are promised tomorrow in any shape or fashion.
            Let's say things like bungee jumping, skydiving, motorcycle racing etc.

Yes, people also choke on food and die everyday, but we still eat, it's just the act of doing something that puts you at risk is what I meant.

Comment

I don't know. I don't like the idea of restricting what decisions people can make.

It sucks, but these things happen. We know the risks involved beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm View Post
                I don't know. I don't like the idea of restricting what decisions people can make.

It sucks, but these things happen. We know the risks involved beforehand.
                Hi John!

It does seem extreme telling adults of sound mind what they can/cannot do with their bodies, but I am viewing this strictly from a business point of view. The investment made into these athletes based on their physical performance and the revenue it generates.

Comment

More than a few professional sports teams have done this, and do the same thing as far as hours their players can spend out on the town in cities like Miami.

So many athletes get in motorcycle wrecks, I hate to restrict an adult from doing something, but if I'm paying you millions I don't want you on a motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post

At least three or four times a year you'll see an athlete here in the U.S. that crashed a motorcycle and misses games or even an entire season. If I'm paying that guy millions, I don't want them doing things that will get them hurt, and has a good chance of doing so.

Comment

Working...
                    X