Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your views on karate/taekwondo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even the "showtime kick" is a Taekwondo technique. Everyone was going "OMFG what was that?! Amazing!! LOLROKZORS!! Showtime Kick! Matrix Kick!" foaming out the mouth.

I looked and went "Oh? He used the taekwondo kick. good shit."

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

Even the "showtime kick" is a Taekwondo technique. Everyone was going "OMFG what was that?! Amazing!! LOLROKZORS!! Showtime Kick! Matrix Kick!" foaming out the mouth.

I looked and went "Oh? He used the taekwondo kick. good shit."
      Yes very nice..and also the stuff lyoto machida and anderson silva are doing is taken from traditional martial arts as well..they both scored a knockout through the front snap kick..which I think was taught to them by steven seagal.

The kick against couture was the best..lyoto did it perfectly.

Comment

All the best MMA fighters are real martial artists. Not a collegiate wrestler or former pro boxer.

Anderson Silva: Taekwondo base, Muay thai, Boxing, Capoeria
        Lyoto Machida: Shotokan Karate
        GSP: Kyokushin Karate base
        BJ Penn: Brazilian Jujutsu (not mma bjj)
        Fedor(prime): Sambo
        Bas Rutten: Taekwondo base, Muay thai
        Ben Henderson: Taekwondo base, freestyle wrestler, bjj
        Anthony Pettis: Taekwondo base

Need I go on?
        Obviously MMA fighters need to be very good in more then 1 area..

But some form of Karate is clearly not the best base otherwise you would see far more in the UFC/mma.

GSP is so good because of his wrestling but he also has the ability to dictate were the fight takes place and is so well rounded.

I would definetly say a wrestling base is the best thing to have for MMA.. just look at Brock Lesnar.. he has awful standup and about 1-2 years training in other forms of MMA. But he was the HW champion until he met another excellent wrestler who he couldn't keep down.. Unfortunately for him that guy also has good standup and far more skilled in other areas..

My point is would a guy who trained Karate and pretty much nothing else be able to go into the UFC and win a championship in his first few fights? i don't think so

Comment

Better than nothing. You can definitely win a fight if you're good with either. I prefer full contact combat sports like boxing, mma etc though.

It's decent workout, got nice goals to achieve with belts, tournaments etc. Overall I like it but in term of raw combat experience I think there's better options out there.

Comment

All the best MMA fighters are real martial artists. Not a collegiate wrestler or former pro boxer.

Anderson Silva: Taekwondo base, Muay thai, Boxing, Capoeria
            Lyoto Machida: Shotokan Karate
            GSP: Kyokushin Karate base
            BJ Penn: Brazilian Jujutsu (not mma bjj)
            Fedor(prime): Sambo
            Bas Rutten: Taekwondo base, Muay thai
            Ben Henderson: Taekwondo base, freestyle wrestler, bjj
            Anthony Pettis: Taekwondo base

Need I go on?
            Nick Diaz: boxing and bjj
            Bj Penn: boxing and bjj
            frankie edgar: boxing and wrestling
            jds: boxing
            rampage: wrestling and boxing
            Tito ortiz: wrestling and boxing
            there are plenty of others aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post
              I'm sorry to break it to ya, but, you're clearly wrong !!

I guess the vid below is a complete farce

When you compare it to this, lmao

Hmm, you tell me which one appears to be choreographed, lmao
              No clue what you're trying to say here. Benny The Jet is obviously a REAL fighter. I was asked about the effectiveness of the type of Karate where there's no real contact taking place. That obviously does not apply to someone like Benny...unless, moron, you are saying Benny spent all of his training and life squaring off with no one.

What you posted and said had nothing to do with what you quoted from me. I'd say "nice try", but it was ****in' lame.

Comment

Martial arts where you don't actually spar is essentially miming.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  It's great for physical conditioning, coordination, and I imagine just feeling good about yourself.

As for its effectiveness in terms of fighting? Better than nothing, but due to the lack of testing against an unchoregraphed opponent- it fails miserably.
                  This post is perfect.

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                  Or just show him some prime Willie Pep if he thinks there is no ART to it..... I rest my case.
                  Show your phaggot friend this

Last edited by Mikhnienko; 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

you friend sounds foolish. he talks a lot but he's not willing to back it up. what i think about all is this the same as what i think of mma vs. boxing: they're two completely different things. and exactly which skills from karate will help him in boxing? ask him specifically which ones.

Comment

Originally posted by tim horton View Post
                      i enjoyed reading this, great post!
                      Thank you, I thought some would enjoy that. I saw those skinheads bashed en masse three times in a month in 1987..... Like I said, there was one group who looked VERY scary, and these average plumber types...... Plumbers 595 --- Skinheads 0...... lol. those guys with the huge mulletts sure could fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X