Nigel Benn vs. Thomas Hearns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vivid Intent View Post
    Excuses.. it's not like it's the only time we've seen Hearns get careless
    i never said benn doesnt have a punchers chance or that theres no way he can win, i said theres no way he should be favored. benn has a punchers chance, thats it.

Yeah, styles make fights and saying Hearns outboxed Hill, Benetez and SRL so he'll beat Benn is stupid. You said the comparison was because Eubank was outboxing Benn but if you re-watch those fights they're both very close, competitive fights and most felt Benn won the rematch. Nobody is saying Benn would outbox Hearns, he would have to make the fight a war and knock him out, which is highly possible.
    i never said hearns would beat benn cuz he outboxed SRL, benitez and hill. i simply said he could outbox him, which you admit yourself.

it is possible benn would catch hearns and kncok him out, i dont think its highly possible though. if hearns clipped benn it would have exaclty the same effect as if benn clipped hearns. and hearns is a better puncher, notice i said better not harder (which i also think he was but still). anyways.. hearns delivered better.. he had a larger arsenal of punches, he had faster hands, sharper combinations, was more accurate.

benn can knock him out, but hearns is the one more likely to land the big shot. its just common sense. and if he did he would knock benn the **** out too.

I've heard he was having problems after that fight but I'd need to hear more on it to make my mind up whether it was a defining factor in the Benn fight. I've read he was complaining of having headaches in sparring afterwards, any other info on it?
    he complained of headaches after the first jackson fight. weird headaches unlike anything he ever experienced in boxing before. his sister said he had a huge lump on his head after the fight that everyone was telling him to go get checked out but he never did. what happened in sparring is basicly what happened in the benn fight, he got dizzy and started blinking like crazy forcing them to stop the session. against benn he went another couple of rounds which caused the permanent injury. basicly this was gon hapen anytime someone could hang in there for a couple of rounds with mcclellan, just a matter of time.
    Last edited by #1Assassin; 12-07-2009, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Prime hearns p4p

Murders Benn

Comment

I imagine Hearns's superior class would tell. Benn was a wild slugger at 160 with little regard for defense or late-round stamina.

The Hearns-Barkley I outcome was one in a million in my view but it does show that a durable slugger could very well take the fight to Hearns and win. Roldan too bothered Hearns but Hearns was eventually able to land the right hand bomb.

Comment

Working...
        X