No announcement yet.

throwback fighter at heavyweight? Joseph Parker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throwback fighter at heavyweight? Joseph Parker

I am putting this is the history section because I want the opinions of members here on the skills of Joseph Parker as they represent a traditional heavyweight. Parker falls within the average size for a heavyweight, at 227 pounds, he has enough power to work through the guys he has fought with 16 stoppages out of 18 bouts...He pretty much stopped meehan also, I will post that tape. I won't say he has worked through the tmto cns, he has in fact worked through guys he should be cutting his teeth on and he has so much poise at 20 something! A nice long ammy career, so he gets subtlety.

Watching this kid for 2 minutes (neurotic bstrd that I am I counted....I was smitten) the kid in that time, cut the ring down, moved constantly on the balls of the feet, just out of range, measured meehan for the kill well.... (One time very well other time, ok), and seems very composed with good crisp combo punching...he should watch Patterson who was an incredible combo guy...

Kid has mad skills, last time I felt like this about a prospect was that fat heavyweight kid, Ruiz? but I MEAN IT THIS TIME!!!! And Juan Ma...I had a bad week!!!

Ok so...To me this kid is a throwback. he looks a little like Patterson, and has the skills such that he does not seem to be aping the movements and set ups, he is able. What do my fellow members think? Is this a small heavyweight who can punch a whole in the big boys doing things the traditional way?

He is aiming for Joshua!

http://www.***************.net/2016/...or-promises-ko
    Last edited by billeau2; 02-06-2016, 11:44 AM.

I like Parker a lot. I would prefer to see him moved a little quicker and expand out of the Pan Pacific. His opposition is even weaker than Joshua's, so far.

I have a high opinion of Joshua too, but I can't see these two hooking up without one of them having a world title. This fight won't be made on a smaller scale.

Comment

What I've seen is very good as a prospect. However he needs to find a camp in the States and a promoter who could get him out the "pacific rim" crap!
      Carrying the "oceanic heavyweight belt" looks terrible. It's ok for his first two years now its time to leave the five & dime belts home and relax the fancy trunks & boots and fight some real trial horses who won't stand in front of him in round one.
      He steps to his opponents ala Joe Louis with a quick shuffle and he plants both feet quickly also, I good sign.
      His right hand is ok but its inconsistant, sometimes he turns his shoulder with a good pivot and lands it short and on target other times he drops in the waist and no turn and its a weak arm punch. He gets away with it because the guys he fights are to busy looking for a place to fall!
      I like the trainer what little I know of him but they need a USA home base to train down under won't cut it for getting the best sparring and climate.
      It's hard enough to find heavies to work with let alone that far away from main stream boxing.

If he really is 6'4" it looks like he has very little reach!
      He has a very long way to go even when considering the group ahead isn't anything to rave about.
      He needs a big and small heavy to work with and mover too.
      I like him, I saw him on something (cable) about a year ago.
      I hope he fares well.
      Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        What I've seen is very good as a prospect. However he needs to find a camp in the States and a promoter who could get him out the "pacific rim" crap!
        Carrying the "oceanic heavyweight belt" looks terrible. It's ok for his first two years now its time to leave the five & dime belts home and relax the fancy trunks & boots and fight some real trial horses who won't stand in front of him in round one.
        He steps to his opponents ala Joe Louis with a quick shuffle and he plants both feet quickly also, I good sign.
        His right hand is ok but its inconsistant, sometimes he turns his shoulder with a good pivot and lands it short and on target other times he drops in the waist and no turn and its a weak arm punch. He gets away with it because the guys he fights are to busy looking for a place to fall!
        I like the trainer what little I know of him but they need a USA home base to train down under won't cut it for getting the best sparring and climate.
        It's hard enough to find heavies to work with let alone that far away from main stream boxing.

If he really is 6'4" it looks like he has very little reach!
        He has a very long way to go even when considering the group ahead isn't anything to rave about.
        He needs a big and small heavy to work with and mover too.
        I like him, I saw him on something (cable) about a year ago.
        I hope he fares well.
        Ray
        I think it said he has set up in Vegas...I hope so. Is good someone taught him how to move. Everything I had seen out of there, including Tua and the last guy Vlad beat up who worked for UPS...looked really movement challenged.

They have talked about his lack of reach, he has to learn to get on the inside quick...

Thanks Scott and Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X