Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to educate myself on the Big Four...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Against each other:

1. Hagler-Hearns (duh)
    2. Leonard-Hearns I
    3. Duran-Leonard I
    4. Hagler-Leonard (Love hearing opinions on this one, it always differs)
    5. Hagler-Duran

Hearns-Duran is not a great fight, but you should see it anyway.

Comment

You have all the info you need.. Shame no one warned you about Leonard Duran 3.. It was all over by then, & this fight was more like an exhibition match, so don't read too much into it.. Well, that's if you can stay awake...lol
      All the others are brilliant though.. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
        ... Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran.

These names I never stop hearing in any boxing discussion, and there's obviously a reason for that. Besides Hagler-Hearns (which I didn't enjoy as much as I thought), I'm very keen to see the other fights they had between them. So far I've been a firm '90s-'00s boxing fan, but I feel as though I absolutely must broaden my knowledge.

Therefore could somebody compile a list for me which places each and every fight of theirs in 'must-see' order, starting from the best one? This means all fights they had with each other, but not against others - at least not yet. One thing at a time.

I'd really appreciate anyone's efforts on this. :smile1:
        All the fights between the four should be available in the video trade forum. You'll be suprised at how many are available for the four of them against others as well. BTW, I would recommend seeing the fights of the FIFTH member of that group, Wilfred Benitez, too.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
          Not including their fights with each other, I recommend watching these fights of them to either see really good fights, or some of their best performances/most significant fights.
          • Marvin Hagler: John Mugabi, Tony Sibson, Mustafa Hamsho (both fights), Caveman Lee
          • Roberto Duran: Iran Barkley, Esteban Dejesus (all 3 just for the hell of it), Davey Moore, Carlos Palomino, Pipino Cuevas
          • Ray Leonard: Davey Boy Green, Wilfred Benitez, Andy Price, Floyd Mayweather
          • Thomas Hearns: Pipino Cuevas, Wilfred Benitez, Virgil Hill, James Shuler, Iran Barkley (especially the first fight).

Among the Fab 4, Hagler-Hearns and Leonard-Duran 1 are the best fights. Leonard-Hearns 1 is tactical in large part, but great for shifts in momentum, and the fact that it's two undefeated ATGs at/near the top of their game. I actually thought their rematch was better in terms of action.

Leonard-Duran 3 is a horrible fight.
          Nearly undefeated.

I agree with the above though. While you need to watch all their fights together, it is just as imperative to watch their other fights. For example, Hagler was always a middleweight and did his best work before meeting up with Duran and then Hearns and Leonard. Those fights were later in his title reign and was already starting to slow a little by the time he got to Hearns.

Hagler fought for a long time, much like Duran, before finally meeting up for the first fight of the Fab Four involving him. He had unified the titles and had an amazing run for many, many years as well as having a long career with setback after setback just trying to get a title shot, despite him being considered the best middleweight for a long time.

Duran also did his best work before moving up to welterweight to meet Ray Leonard. He had a decade long title reign at lightweight with some brilliant fights and basically had an entire career, or certainly the equal of most fighters careers, before he ever even met up with Leonard for the first time, most of which you should be able to see, such as those against the HOF'er Ken Buchanan, Carlos Palomino (this was a welterweight fight before Leonard though), the aforementioned De Jesus and others like Ishimatsu, Kobayashi and the great Ernesto Marcel.

Hearns and Leonard both did a lot of their best stuff side by side at WW, though Hearns was even better as a JMW and had an incredible run there which must be seen. As listed above though, you have to check out Leonard's fights with Green, Price, Mayweather, Benitez etc.

Comment

The fight where Hagler won the title is superb & not for the squeamish.. He came over to the UK & burst Alan Minters bubble in one of his most brutal displays.. Minter has since said, that although not on top of his game that night, it wouldn't have mattered.. Needs to be noted, that some piss heads in the crowd, try to spoil it for Hagler at the end..

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
              ... Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran.

These names I never stop hearing in any boxing discussion, and there's obviously a reason for that. Besides Hagler-Hearns (which I didn't enjoy as much as I thought), I'm very keen to see the other fights they had between them. So far I've been a firm '90s-'00s boxing fan, but I feel as though I absolutely must broaden my knowledge.

Therefore could somebody compile a list for me which places each and every fight of theirs in 'must-see' order, starting from the best one? This means all fights they had with each other, but not against others - at least not yet. One thing at a time.

I'd really appreciate anyone's efforts on this. :smile1:
              Also check out the documentary the fab four. It is available for download in the Video Trading Block forum

Comment

Working...
              X