Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto: Can He Make Antonio Margarito Pay in Their Rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Cotto: Can He Make Antonio Margarito Pay in Their Rematch?

Miguel Cotto's decade in boxing can be divided into two careers: before and after he fought Antonio Margarito's plaster of Paris loaded-gloves.

In November 2009, red stains were discovered on the hand wraps Margarito used in the Cotto fight that were similar to the stains on the inserts seized before the Shane Mosley fight, when Margarito's cheating was first discovered.

This raised suspicions that Margarito's gloves were loaded for Cotto's fight, and possibly others as well.

To try something like this once, a boxer should not just be thrown out of boxing for life, they should be thrown in jail for attempted murder. Harvard Law-educated Bob Arum saw things differently and rewarded him with a shot against Manny Pacquiao.

For the eight years leading up to that tragic fight against Margarito, Miguel Cotto was someone else. Not only was he an undefeated world champion, perhaps most

importantly to his legion of boxing fans, he was Felix "Tito" Trinidad's heir apparent.

Where others would be daunted, Cotto relished the challenge to live up to that legacy. He fought for greatness and knew not just victory, but the quality of those victories were measured against a legend.

Then all of that was stolen from him on July 26, 2008, in Las Vegas.

Cotto was never the same after that fight. He left something behind in that ring that he never got back.

In the three years Cotto's fought since, he defeated Joshua Clottey and knocked out Yuri Foreman and Ricardo Mayorga, but what we remember is the savage beating he took at the hands of Manny Pacquiao.

We remember Cotto's bloodied-face taking such a pounding that his wife had to take her children and leave their seats at the fight to escape from seeing what was happening.

Antonio Margarito had his own taste of Manny Pacquiao. Those of us who were there that night in Cowboy's Stadium remember seeing something that the odds makers never predicted: compassion and mercy.

Pacquiao so easily dominated the fight, you could see him take his foot off the gas to spare Margarito permanent damage. Manny even glanced over at the ref periodically as if to wonder why any further punishment or risk of injury was necessary.

Prior to Manny Pacquiao's overwhelming dominance of Margarito, Shane Mosley badly outclassed and knocked Margarito out in the ninth round in Los Angeles.

Margarito has been fighting as a professional for over half his life, since the age of 16. His rematch against Miguel Cotto could well be his last major payday. He remains a dangerous fighter with imposing size and ruthless determination.

Mentally for Cotto, this rematch could prove to be an even greater challenge than facing Manny Pacquiao. Make no mistake about it, the horrors he endured against Antonio Margarito in their first fight are a nightmare that likely pays a regular visit.

But now Miguel Cotto has an opportunity to add this chapter to his legacy a

s a way of distinguishing his legacy from Trinidad's. Cotto will be fighting for more than just revenge, he'll be fighting to reclaim the future that what was illegally stolen.

The damage Margarito inflicted against Cotto could very well be something that takes its toll many years from now, that deprives family members of a loved one's clarity of mind. That's perhaps the most insidious element of what Margarito did: he didn't just steal a match, he potentially stole someone's life.

It's a fair guess to assume that comeuppance has never been fueled by as much determination as Miguel Cotto will have on December 3rd at Madison Square Garden.

LINK

Originally posted by freeloada View Post

Miguel Cotto's decade in boxing can be divided into two careers: before and after he fought Antonio Margarito's plaster of Paris loaded-gloves.

In November 2009, red stains were discovered on the hand wraps Margarito used in the Cotto fight that were similar to the stains on the inserts seized before the Shane Mosley fight, when Margarito's cheating was first discovered.

This raised suspicions that Margarito's gloves were loaded for Cotto's fight, and possibly others as well.

To try something like this once, a boxer should not just be thrown out of boxing for life, they should be thrown in jail for attempted murder. Harvard Law-educated Bob Arum saw things differently and rewarded him with a shot against Manny Pacquiao.

For the eight years leading up to that tragic fight against Margarito, Miguel Cotto was someone else. Not only was he an undefeated world champion, perhaps most

importantly to his legion of boxing fans, he was Felix "Tito" Trinidad's heir apparent.

Where others would be daunted, Cotto relished the challenge to live up to that legacy. He fought for greatness and knew not just victory, but the quality of those victories were measured against a legend.

Then all of that was stolen from him on July 26, 2008, in Las Vegas.

Cotto was never the same after that fight. He left something behind in that ring that he never got back.

In the three years Cotto's fought since, he defeated Joshua Clottey and knocked out Yuri Foreman and Ricardo Mayorga, but what we remember is the savage beating he took at the hands of Manny Pacquiao.

We remember Cotto's bloodied-face taking such a pounding that his wife had to take her children and leave their seats at the fight to escape from seeing what was happening.

Antonio Margarito had his own taste of Manny Pacquiao. Those of us who were there that night in Cowboy's Stadium remember seeing something that the odds makers never predicted: compassion and mercy.

Pacquiao so easily dominated the fight, you could see him take his foot off the gas to spare Margarito permanent damage. Manny even glanced over at the ref periodically as if to wonder why any further punishment or risk of injury was necessary.

Prior to Manny Pacquiao's overwhelming dominance of Margarito, Shane Mosley badly outclassed and knocked Margarito out in the ninth round in Los Angeles.

Margarito has been fighting as a professional for over half his life, since the age of 16. His rematch against Miguel Cotto could well be his last major payday. He remains a dangerous fighter with imposing size and ruthless determination.

Mentally for Cotto, this rematch could prove to be an even greater challenge than facing Manny Pacquiao. Make no mistake about it, the horrors he endured against Antonio Margarito in their first fight are a nightmare that likely pays a regular visit.

But now Miguel Cotto has an opportunity to add this chapter to his legacy a

s a way of distinguishing his legacy from Trinidad's. Cotto will be fighting for more than just revenge, he'll be fighting to reclaim the future that what was illegally stolen.

The damage Margarito inflicted against Cotto could very well be something that takes its toll many years from now, that deprives family members of a loved one's clarity of mind. That's perhaps the most insidious element of what Margarito did: he didn't just steal a match, he potentially stole someone's life.

It's a fair guess to assume that comeuppance has never been fueled by as much determination as Miguel Cotto will have on December 3rd at Madison Square Garden.

LINK
    On the one side I really do believe that Margaritos wraps were loaded... like I said I've never seen a fighter bleed and look like this and also Margarito never did something like that to another opponent...

But after that Cotto wasn't the same anymore... he isn't the bully anymore - he is more of a I pick my spots boxer and isn't someone who goes for the kill anymore... I mean if this fight doesn't awake the fighter in Cotto back again I don't know which fight should (if he still has something left in the tank Pac Pac put a good whoopin on him too)

He dominated Margarito pretty much with his boxing skills and without broken nose I think he could have had enough stamina to make it to the final round and probably win a decision...

Margarito is still all fighter BUT he took also two pretty bad beatings in the mean time and the first time around against Cotto even though Cotto looked worst... Margarito ain't looked good after the fight either... just look around his eyes... he took many hard shots... I have to believe that this time around without broken nose, without plaster and Margarito taking some beatings it should be enough for Cotto to get his revenge and win on points

Comment

Originally posted by jkaisen41 View Post
      On the one side I really do believe that Margaritos wraps were loaded... like I said I've never seen a fighter bleed and look like this and also Margarito never did something like that to another opponent...

But after that Cotto wasn't the same anymore... he isn't the bully anymore - he is more of a I pick my spots boxer and isn't someone who goes for the kill anymore... I mean if this fight doesn't awake the fighter in Cotto back again I don't know which fight should (if he still has something left in the tank Pac Pac put a good whoopin on him too)

He dominated Margarito pretty much with his boxing skills and without broken nose I think he could have had enough stamina to make it to the final round and probably win a decision...

Margarito is still all fighter BUT he took also two pretty bad beatings in the mean time and the first time around against Cotto even though Cotto looked worst... Margarito ain't looked good after the fight either... just look around his eyes... he took many hard shots... I have to believe that this time around without broken nose, without plaster and Margarito taking some beatings it should be enough for Cotto to get his revenge and win on points

I hope you're right... I would love to see Cotto win this fight.. But he just doesnt know what to do when someone is pressuring him.. If he can box margs and not get into a slugfest with him then I can see Cotto crusing to a UD... I just cant see Cotto knocking Margs out.. so the people who say he will STFU... Cotto threw everything he had including the kitchen sink at margs and Marg still didnt go down..

Im waiting to see how Cotto takes Margs punches in the 1st round.. that will ultimately determine how the fight goes...

CLINCH** JAB** AND BLOCK A UPPERCUT.. that's what cotto needs to do...

Comment

This fight is all about which fighter has more left in the tank. I do not think the Margarito of today could walk through the beating he took in 2008. Cotto is not the fighter he used to be either. He can win though, if he makes the necessary adjustments to deal with a diminished but still game Margarito who has the advantages if it comes down to a brawl.

Comment

Answering the question in the title

I doubt it!

Comment

It all depends on his conditioning, we know Cotto gases out in the later rounds and loses power in his punches. We also know Margarito has excellent conditioning and keeps his power for 12 rounds.

So if Cotto can fix his conditioning problem he wins, if not Margarito wins again unless he has been permanently damaged by Pacquiao.

Comment

Working...
            X