No announcement yet.

Charles Bukowski

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Bukowski

Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn. I guess I've lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.

Post your favorite Bukowski quotes

Don't have any.

I've only read a number of short stories of his from "South Of No North" which I was able to find free online last year. The site doesn't seem to exist anymore.

His writing wasn't all that sophisticated but it worked.

Comment

"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is."

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
        Don't have any.

I've only read a number of short stories of his from "South Of No North" which I was able to find free online last year. The site doesn't seem to exist anymore.

His writing wasn't all that sophisticated but it worked.
        I agree. His writing wasn't great but it was something else

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
        "If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is."

I just ordered some of his books. Great quote

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post

I just ordered some of his books. Great quote
          Was one of them Ham on Rye?

Not sure how I'd feel about that book now but I read it when I was 16 and related to it quite a bit. The whole rebel outsider's schooldays kinda thing.

Oh and my quote contribution:

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”

Comment

Comment

Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn. I guess I've lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.

Post your favorite Bukowski quotes
              i got turned on to him in the late sixties from his articles in l.a. free press.
              he put his home adress in one of his articles and me and a friend went to his house and got drunk waiting for him to come home. seen him speak at the clairmont colleges over by pomona ca.
              wow he was my idle for awhile.

Comment

From "Ham on Rye":

Gathered around me were the weak instead of the strong, the ugly instead of the beautiful, the losers instead of the winners. It looked like it was my destiny to travel in their company through life. That didn't bother me so much as the fact that I seemed irresistible to these dull idiot fellows. I was like a turd that drew flies instead of like a flower that butterflies and bees desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane Man View Post
                  Was one of them Ham on Rye?

Not sure how I'd feel about that book now but I read it when I was 16 and related to it quite a bit. The whole rebel outsider's schooldays kinda thing.

Oh and my quote contribution:

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
                  No unfortunately I didnt order that one, I ordered Women, Pulp and You Get So Alone At Times It Just Makes Sense.

Is that a good read?

Comment

No unfortunately I didnt order that one, I ordered Women, Pulp and You Get So Alone At Times It Just Makes Sense.

Is that a good read?
                    Ham on Rye I highly recommend. But as it's been a few years since I read it if I were to re-read it might not be as good as I remembered.

Haven't read any of those you listed. But I have read Post Office and Factotum both of which were good reads.

Some random poems too which if I'm honest, maybe I was missing something, I thought were for the most part incoherent ramblings.

Comment

Working...
                    X