No announcement yet.

"You Have To Beat The Champ" -- Fallacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Have To Beat The Champ" -- Fallacy

Been seeing a lot of posters type this, but I want to make sure that we understand this properly.

It is not a fallacy, per se, but there is no rule that you "have to take it from the champ" in the sense that you have to do much more than the champ to take the title. The champion doesn't come with a built in advantage.

The champion's only advantage is that he/she keeps the belt in the event of a draw. That's where the term "you have to beat/take it from the champ" comes from.

Both fighters go into a fight evenly no matter who is the champ.

Yeah mayne

Dat rule only applies wen a bruvva is da champ yo

Otherwise da rule iz "you have to be da bruvva to win da fite"

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums! View Post
      Yeah mayne

Dat rule only applies wen a bruvva is da champ yo

Otherwise da rule iz "you have to be da bruvva to win da fite"
      Oh, is that how it works?

When are you going to stop trolling and race baiting? I'm only sharing some boxing knowledge for those who are unaware.

If you have any proof otherwise, do share.

Comment

Been seeing a lot of posters type this, but I want to make sure that we understand this properly.

It is not a fallacy, per se, but there is no rule that you "have to take it from the champ" in the sense that you have to do much more than the champ to take the title. The champion doesn't come with a built in advantage.

The champion's only advantage is that he/she keeps the belt in the event of a draw. That's where the term "you have to beat/take it from the champ" comes from.

I hear what you're saying but personally it just doesn't feel right when a champ loses a decision the way Kov did.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post

Yea, I'm that type who thinks you gotta take it from the champ. Ward fought great the second half of the fight but I think the champ deserves the benefit of the doubt in swing rounds

Comment

That saying doesn't apply here. Ward used everything in his tool box to take those belts

Comment

But Ward lost it,lol ,Siegiej dont need a benefit of the daubt cuse his champ,he won this fight.

Comment

I agree, hate hearing that phrase, such a weak cop out when people use it

Comment

I agree with the OP. It shouldn't matter whether you're the champ or not.
                  Having said that, I thought Kovalev won this fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X