No announcement yet.

What is the Best deepest welter era from 70's to present

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Can anyone name the guys from the early 90's.... i know it was pernell and buddy, but who else,, im drawing a blank,,, I do remember meldrick getting a belt like a year after a chavez fight
    Taylor beat Aaron Jones for a welterweight title if that helps.

Comment

The late 90s/early 2000s era was great, but a lot of great/very good fighters shuffled through the division at different times. Trinidad, Campas, Whitaker, Lopez and Quartey were gone by the time Shane moved up and Forrest became relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Taylor beat Aaron Jones for a welterweight title if that helps.
        Thanks,, and then meldrick got ko'd by norris at jrmid and i think got ko'd by cristano espano or something like that....

I really liked when curry was around,,, he was very fun to watch

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
          The late 90s/early 2000s era was great, but a lot of great/very good fighters shuffled through the division at different times. Trinidad, Campas, Whitaker, Lopez and Quartey were gone by the time Shane moved up and Forrest became relevant.
          Your right, alot shuffled in and out, but oscar was the lynch pin, having fought pernell to get a belt, and ike and tito when they were longtime champs, and then shane the following year,,,,

Forrest would have had a chance at much bigger fights but mayorga kinda screwed that up....

Comment

Forrest's shoulder injury was a bigger problem than Mayorga.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
              Man the WW division was hot right about the time Floyd retired!
              Not really. Historically, it was still pretty weak comparatively. I know you've got it in for Floyd and just taking another banal dig, but Margarito and Cotto atop the 147 division doesn't really equal hot. Fun yes, hot no. Pac was floating about and Mosley was there, who Floyd later beat when Mosley had just destroyed the top guy in Margarito, who had just beaten Cotto.

As much as you wanna hate the guy, and as easy as it is, you can't say too much when he comes back and beats the number one guy (Mosley), who beat the number one guy (Marg) who beat the number one guy (Cotto). He also came back after the lay off and took a 'tune up' fight (if you can possibly call Marquez a tune up fight) to beat the guy who is now the number 2 welterweight in the world after knocking out the other top guy in Pac.

Anyway, late 70's and early 80's era of Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Benitez, Palomino, Cuevas would be top for me.

However, I can't decide between the 90's and mid to late 80's eras. The mid-late 80's didn't have the star power of an Oscar and Tito maybe, but I rather think that the talent was arguably even better.

In no particular order, you have Donald Curry, Milton McCrory, Simon Brown, Marlon Starling, Mark Breland, Lloyd Honeyghan, Maurice Blocker etc.

Mid to later 90's you have Whitaker, Oscar, Tito, Quartey, Lopez, Page and Forrest. Maybe McGirt, but he wasn't really a part of this era and was in fact probably closer to the previous late 80's era listed above, but we can leave him in.

I think in a tourney between all of those listed, the late 80's would come out with more wins overall.

Then it would probably be the early 2000's with Oscar, Mosley, Forrest, Carr, Mayorga, Spinks etc and following that the largely disappointing era of today from the mid/late 2000's to now.

Comment

In a period we had Whitaker, Lopez, Delahoya, Chavez, Carr, Quartey, Trinidad and Rivera all in the division at one time.

in the Leonard era we had Cuevas, Heans, Leonard, Duran, Benitez, Espada all there at the same time

We had Mosley, Mayorga, Forrest, Spinks there at one time.

The deepest time period had to have been the late 90s one. Basically everyone fought each other. The 80s had more top fighters but only 5 actually had fights and it was mostly Leonard doing the work.

Comment

Working...
                X