Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is seemingly miniscule weight differences dramatically change outcomes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is seemingly miniscule weight differences dramatically change outcomes?

I know that 1 or 2 pounds can be dramatic and very important. But why is that the case? How is it possible that a fighter can come in at 144 and be too weak, but come in at 147 and be bigger and stronger than his opponent? Ne answers will be appreciated.

Because most of them walk around at much higher weights, and lower weights means they have to eat less and burn more which makes them weaker.

Comment

size and weight doesn't affect great fighters like pac , floyd , jmm , etc. as much.

every lb. matters to mediocre fighters like cotto though.

Comment

Originally posted by mike ruler View Post
        I know that 1 or 2 pounds can be dramatic and very important. But why is that the case? How is it possible that a fighter can come in at 144 and be too weak, but come in at 147 and be bigger and stronger than his opponent? Ne answers will be appreciated.
        The more finely tuned a machine (organic or not) the less it takes for it to be thrown into chaos. Put 87 octane into a 12.1:1 compression engine that requires 93 and see what happens. It's only 6 octane.

Comment

itsmainly to do with how much water weight was cut to make weight. For instance a fighter weighing 160 on figh night but weighin in at 147 will probably be stronger than if he had to cut an extra 3 lbs of water because of the extra strain on the whole body it may take more than the time difference between the weigh in and fight to fully recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr._Pink View Post
            size and weight doesn't affect great fighters like pac , floyd , jmm , etc. as much.

every lb. matters to mediocre fighters like cotto though.
            Good, then perhaps Pacquiao will fight at 147 since it doesn't matter? Really, since it does not matter then it should be no problem and all the accusations leveled at Cotto would be held true if Pacquiao defeated Cotto at the LEGITIMATE WW championship weight LIMIT of 147. Too bad that will never happen because roach knows that Cotto will lose edge if he comes down two pounds. I think Cotto will still win, but roach fears Cotto at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuurzhaelan View Post
              Good, then perhaps Pacquiao will fight at 147 since it doesn't matter? Really, since it does not matter then it should be no problem and all the accusations leveled at Cotto would be held true if Pacquiao defeated Cotto at the LEGITIMATE WW championship weight LIMIT of 147. Too bad that will never happen because roach knows that Cotto will lose edge if he comes down two pounds. I think Cotto will still win, but roach fears Cotto at 147.
              wrong guy.

don't give a **** whether this fight is at 145 or 147.

nor do i care if it's for a title or not.

go talk that crap to someone who cares.

Comment

Back to the topic...What would be the difference between Cotto coming in at 145,146,147?

Comment

Back to the topic...What would be the difference between Cotto coming in at 145,146,147?
                  michelle gets ktfo by pacquiao in round 4 , 6 or 8.

Comment

i tried to explain that above, but ill put it simply he will still weigh the same on fight night pretty much no matter what he weighs in at, to get to the weigh in weight he will dehydrate the more he dehydrates the longer it takes to recover so may not be recovered by the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X