Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael: On Golovkin vs Jacobs "Strong chance it will be on HBO PPV"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So because all these boxers now are extremely overpaid everything must go to pay per view?

Noway GGG should be making $5 million or Jacobs making $3 million for this fight

Comment

Sooner or later this greed will bite them all in the a$$. You would have thought they learned their lesson the last time. Why do they all of the sudden believe this will be a success?

Comment

As soon as I heard the March date with roman-cuadras 2 on undercard, I knew this would be PPV

Honestly I don't mind paying for PPv with 2 good championship fights..

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
          Sooner or later this greed will bite them all in the a$$. You would have thought they learned their lesson the last time. Why do they all of the sudden believe this will be a success?
          Honestly, I don't think its greed. Its lack of funding,,, hbo and showtime aren't speniding as much money on boxing, the networks won't pay, so the only thing to fund it is PPV.. 10 years ago hbo is showing this

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Honestly, I don't think its greed. Its lack of funding,,, hbo and showtime aren't speniding as much money on boxing, the networks won't pay, so the only thing to fund it is PPV.. 10 years ago hbo is showing this
            There used to be a time when a PPV was basically only to make a superfight. Now it seems like fairly run of the mill fights are getting tossed around at $70 a crack.

To me the fighters themselves should be taking a pay cut.

Comment

There used to be a time when a PPV was basically only to make a superfight. Now it seems like fairly run of the mill fights are getting tossed around at $70 a crack.

I agree the fighters should be taking the pay cut, but I do think this is forcing guys to take big fights.. The days of million dollar showcases on hbo are long gone

Comment

Not PPV worthy, but it doesn't affect me, so it's whatever.

Comment

They definitely should be. But when they won't budge from a certain minimum PPV is essentially the last resort.

From K2s perspective, they really need a good fight for Golovkin. They just fought Brook, who was a welterweight, with a mandatory like Wade before that and some other guys they had to settle on like Willie Monroe.

Canelo won't fight anytime soon and Billy Hoe Saunders won't fight anyone, so they really want a good fight like Jacobs, otherwise I'm sure there is some bum mandatory waiting they'll have to fight.

They've been negotiating with Jacobs for a long time now, even after the WBA supposedly hit their deadline weeks ago. So if Fat Dan is correct, it looks like the only way they can make a fight with Jacobs is if he gets paid significantly more than what HBO is willing to spend, so that means PPV.

It's crazy how that's the state of boxing right now. All these good but not great fights are having to go to PPV. Ward vs Kovalev was the best of them all and even that would have been a regular HBO fight five years ago. Even Crawford vs Postol!! Now? Shiiiiiit, any decent fight must be on PPV, unless it's a PBC fight.

Comment

It's BS this fight is PPV, but I'd rather watch this on PPV than watch GGG vs Monroe 2 and Jacobs vs Mora 3 for free, so it is what it is. I can always go out and watch it at a bar for free...

Comment

what's wrong with this being PPV ..its a great fight. this is the only way to cover their purses.

Comment

Working...
                      X