No announcement yet.

The king of middleweight division!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    It's hard to say, Loughran was very good and as a LHW he'd have an advantage but gee, it's hard to argue. They were both ring generals, so was Packey McFarland, just one loss in over a hundred fights was a classic Boxer/Puncher, a LW that regularly beat WW's and MW's, including Mike Gibbons. McFarland rarely gets a mention, he looks brilliant against Freddie Welsh. Packy and Welshy had 3 fights with Packey winning 1 and 2 draws, a great fighter, the best LW between Gans and Leonard and arguably as good at least in resume.
    Welsh was pretty good also against Packey.

A real defensive wizard, the great Freddie Welsh. Amongst the best defensive fighters of all time.

Thye really brought the best out of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbelt2003 View Post
      I'm not a fan of ranking guys we can't really see.

Greb, Ketchel and the like may have been fantastic early pioneers, but I don't like to include any fighters from before WW2 a) because boxing was still undeveloped before then and b) most of the ranking is done simply on their record and contemporary media articles, since there is no fight footage.

Therefore, my middleweight list would be:

1) Ray Robinson - won 5 titles amidst the toughest competition any champ EVER had to face in ANY division
      2) Carlos Monzon - his middleweight reign was close to perfect
      3) Marvin Hagler - Dominated for 7 whole years and featured in some of the 80's finest fights
      4) Bernard Hopkins - 20-odd defences and a unified title says a lot in this day and age.
      5) Jake La Motta - His reign wasn't as impressive as it could have been, but there were so many other great wins!

Black
      hagler would school the entire list

Comment

How Old Was MC at the end

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        Sands like Darcy had an awful lot more to give in the ring, not so sure that Cerdan had much more to be honest. Think he might well have beaten La Motta in the return but Robinson was looming for either of them plus he was 32/33 with a fair few miles on the clock. Great fighter Cerdan gets a little overlooked IMO
        Yeah!, I have not considered Cerdans age, and who wouldn't back SRR but it is of no account as far as how very talented MC was. I have room in book for many fighters too be classed as great. If a guy is great it does not matter how many others are classed that way, and all lists vary from person. Great to see you bring Sand's up, blokes my dads age talked about him a lot. Such a talent, I don't know about SRR ducking him, not something I've read, In Australia many old blokes say it as a fact, a great yarn at the least, but I heard it over and over.

Comment

You may be right my friend but let me throw this in: Loughran used to manoeuvre his opponent to his corner towards the end of the round so he could sit straight down as the bell went To me that puts the craft(y) into ring craft!
          That is wicked, Loughran was so good, but that is sort of mind Blowing

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Welsh was pretty good also against Packey.

A real defensive wizard, the great Freddie Welsh. Amongst the best defensive fighters of all time.

Thye really brought the best out of each other.
            Yeah Iron, Welsh was the only LW who had a hope against Packey. Freddies defence had to be top class against McFarland, I mean it would not be pretty to see anybody fighting PMcF without defence, they'd get killed.

Comment

Yeah!, I have not considered Cerdans age, and who wouldn't back SRR but it is of no account as far as how very talented MC was. I have room in book for many fighters too be classed as great. If a guy is great it does not matter how many others are classed that way, and all lists vary from person. Great to see you bring Sand's up, blokes my dads age talked about him a lot. Such a talent, I don't know about SRR ducking him, not something I've read, In Australia many old blokes say it as a fact, a great yarn at the least, but I heard it over and over.
              Sands fought a lot over here in the UK and I was lucky enough to catch him a couple of times, superb fighter

Comment

Marvelous Marvin Hagler was the ULTIMATE Middleweight Champion, and the KING of the division, GOAT at 160 IMO.

Comment

HMmnnnnnnnn

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
                  hagler would school the entire list
                  Dunno about that !!
                  :- Could you EXPLAIN to me just how Hagler beats SSR or Monzon, If you can ?, SCHOOL ROBINSON ????????????,......... I think Ray Knew a few more tricks, HOW is Hagler going to KO the bloke who took the best punches that Graziano, Basilio, Fullmer, & 50 other HARD puncher's ?, HUH !
                  . .
                  The BALLS In Your COURT,--Xplanation required

Comment

Dunno about that !!
                    :- Could you EXPLAIN to me just how Hagler beats SSR or Monzon, If you can ?, SCHOOL ROBINSON ????????????,......... I think Ray Knew a few more tricks, HOW is Hagler going to KO the bloke who took the best punches that Graziano, Basilio, Fullmer, & 50 other HARD puncher's ?, HUH !
                    . .
                    The BALLS In Your COURT,--Xplanation required
                    He's not KO'ing Robinson (Assuming he wins) he's beating him in a very close decision.

Comment

Sands fought a lot over here in the UK and I was lucky enough to catch him a couple of times, superb fighter
                      That's great, man !!!, he's a legend down here. I'd love to hear a little more about your thoughts on Sands from you, a British perspective would be interesting. I know the Americans thought he was very good. How hard a puncher was he ? and where would you rate him as far as Australian fighters that you have seen, a lot of blokes here said he'd beat any of the modern Australians. Sands did a Darcy, won the MW and HW Aust Titles, I know he was British Empire Champ, But I don't know at what weight, or did he win two ?---I'm envious !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X