No announcement yet.

Curiosity Mars rover beams images of ancient streambed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chav View Post
    I suppose the pessimist in me wonders how controlled the info coming out is and if all the info is shared or some kept away from us?
    I think if something staggering was found like some alien carcass or some **** it would not be put out there.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      So for billions of dollars they're finding rocks, and that there used to be water on Mars. This is way too awesome. I'm mind-blown right now.
      Having a robot actually exploring the surface of another planet and sending back information is a great achievement for mankind.

What is spent on space exploration is a tiny fraction of what was spent on the unnecessary war in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
        I think if something staggering was found like some alien carcass or some **** it would not be put out there.
        You know how I feel about most conspiracies, but that's one I can definitely side with you on.

I just don't have any faith that if such a discovery were made (like bone fragments or something) that they would go public with it. At least not for many, many, many years.

Comment

This just sounds too damn cool.

The rover first zapped the rock from a distance with its ChemCam laser, and then moved in close to study it with its X-ray spectrometer known as APXS. The latter device is held on the end of the rover's robotic arm; the laser is mounted on its mast.
          I don't understand how people can minimize the achievements of mankind. This isn't just picking rocks. This is something amazing. Spending 2 billion dollars is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
            I think you are right

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            Having a robot actually exploring the surface of another planet and sending back information is a great achievement for mankind.

What is spent on space exploration is a tiny fraction of what was spent on the unnecessary war in Iraq.
            I agree, it's fascinating and humbling at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              You know how I feel about most conspiracies, but that's one I can definitely side with you on.

I just don't have any faith that if such a discovery were made (like bone fragments or something) that they would go public with it. At least not for many, many, many years.
              There's just no ****in way they would.

On top of that... imagine the amount of questions that would be thrown at Nasa and the whitehouse if they released that info... and the amount they WOULDNT know, or wouldnt be able to answer.

Our Governments ego is too big, we're not releasing information about something we dont know fully about, and even in some cases, even if we do know about it.

Comment

So for billions of dollars they're finding rocks, and that there used to be water on Mars. This is way too awesome. I'm mind-blown right now.

you say that as if the rest of the expenditures of the government are a good thing.

these sorts of missions will lay the foundation for an eventuality in the evolution of our civilzation: if we don't kill eachother we'll eventually overpopulate the planet and need to search elsewhere for resources.

space travel, and the technology and methods that surround it, will be an integral aspect of our moving along as a civilization.

Comment

Is it possible that the rover already found some things on mars that the government might not want the general public to know about?

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                    Is it possible that the rover already found some things on mars that the government might not want the general public to know about?
                    It found some rocks.

Comment

It found some rocks.
                      Sounds like his question went straight over your head.

Comment

Working...
                      X