No announcement yet.

Popular Mechanics' 110 predictions for the next 110 years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Mechanics' 110 predictions for the next 110 years

Normally I skip these kinds of articles, but this one offers quite a bit of interesting predictions ranging from the improbable to the highly plausible.

Here's a quick run down of some of the list's more interesting (and entertaining) predictions.

People will be fluent in every language.

Nanoparticles will make chemotherapy more effective.

Athletes will employ robotic trainers.

Bridges will repair themselves with self-healing concrete.

Your genome will be sequenced before you are born.

Passwords will become obsolete.

Self-cleaning buildings will help us fight smog.

Your clothes will clean themselves.

Vaccines will wipe out drug addiction.

Vegetarians and carnivores will dine together on synthetic meat.

Contact lenses will grant us 'Terminator' vision.

All 130 million books on the planet will be digitized.

Supersonic jets will return - For good this time.

Scientists will discover direct evidence of dark matter.

One of us will celebrate a 150th birthday.

To view the complete list, and the reasoning behind each prediction, head on over to the technology page of popular mechanics' website.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...next-110-years

I wouldn't want to live to be 150 years old but that self cleaning clothes idea has my vote.

Comment

Being fluent in every language would be the most awesome one on the list. My goodness, I would have so much fun with that in college RIGHT NOW

Comment

Navy Seals
        will be able to hold their breath for 4 hours.*Advances in nanotechnology will help us overcome not only illness but also the limits of being human. For example, robotic red blood cells called respirocytes could each hold 200 times the oxygen of their natural counterparts, enabling a man on a mission to, say, hide out underwater for half a day without a scuba tank.

this one caught my eye, pretty amazing to be able to do that.

Comment

Within 50 years, scientists will resurrect an extinct species. They'll studiously reconstruct the creature's genome and perform a few million tweaks on a cell from a living relative.

Read more: 110 Predictions For the Next 110 Years - Popular Mechanics

^^^

very dangerous this one in my opinion

Comment

Still....no flying cars

Comment

Not sure if these are in the article, I didn't go through it all but here are some of mine:

Fusion Power harnessed.

Gravitational Waves found.

Unbreakable quantum code.

Teleportation of macroscopic objects (recreate it elsewhere after destroying it.)

Toasters will evolve so you get that perfect golden tone, everytime.

Dr Hook and the Medicine show will reform and play one last gig.

Rome Total War 15 will be unanimously declared the the best game ever created.

Toasters will further evolve and there will be an instatoaster, I've already been theorising how to make one a very good one myself.

Moon/Mars colonies.

Anti jamming zips for jackets.

Socks will be sold in packs of three by law as you always lose one sock and therefore have an odd one, this problem is eliminated.

Coal power stations will not exist.

Everyone will have an electric car.

Video games will have graphics that mimic real life.

Lucas Matthysse will be Grand Emperor of planet kickass that will enter our solar system in 2097.

Marvin Hagler will still be alive in 2100 and running 5 miles everyday, never breaching 175 pounds.

We'll have a reason for the lack of anti-matter kicking about.

Anti matter fuel/weaponary.

Toothpaste will have a more convenient dispenser, that allows you to get all of the toothpaste out.

There will be a mouthwash that doesn't feel like an alkali with a pH of 1.

Bob Arum will still be alive, even after 110 years have elapsed.

There will no writing utensils, everything will be done electronically.

Comment

Originally posted by TartanSoldier View Post
                Not sure if these are in the article, I didn't go through it all but here are some of mine:

Fusion Power harnessed.

Gravitational Waves found.

Unbreakable quantum code.

Teleportation of macroscopic objects (recreate it elsewhere after destroying it.)

Toasters will evolve so you get that perfect golden tone, everytime.

Dr Hook and the Medicine show will reform and play one last gig.

Rome Total War 15 will be unanimously declared the the best game ever created.

Toasters will further evolve and there will be an instatoaster, I've already been theorising how to make one a very good one myself.

Moon/Mars colonies.

Anti jamming zips for jackets.

Socks will be sold in packs of three by law as you always lose one sock and therefore have an odd one, this problem is eliminated.

Coal power stations will not exist.

Everyone will have an electric car.

Video games will have graphics that mimic real life.

Lucas Matthysse will be Grand Emperor of planet kickass that will enter our solar system in 2097.

Marvin Hagler will still be alive in 2100 and running 5 miles everyday, never breaching 175 pounds.

We'll have a reason for the lack of anti-matter kicking about.

Anti matter fuel/weaponary.

Toothpaste will have a more convenient dispenser, that allows you to get all of the toothpaste out.

There will be a mouthwash that doesn't feel like an alkali with a pH of 1.

Bob Arum will still be alive, even after 110 years have elapsed.

There will no writing utensils, everything will be done electronically.

you voted for like fifty dudes in the top poster awards, none of which are named NE.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  you voted for like fifty dudes in the top poster awards, none of which are named NE.

really?

must have missed it.

i would have voted for all history section brethren.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                    Still....no flying cars

With so many idiots on the road right now, not sure it would be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X