No announcement yet.

fast twitch muscle fibres?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Explosive training is obviously a good way to go as well. However, the higher your max strength, the bigger your potential for increasing explosiveness. So, to put it in order, The heavy lifting is the base upon which you add the explosive stuff.
    Can you give an example of a general lifting routine/program you use for your boxers? (sorry if its posted elsewhere)

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
      Can you give an example of a general lifting routine/program you use for your boxers? (sorry if its posted elsewhere)
      Since none of my fighters are anywhere close to their strength potential, I use a very general one. Deadlifts, squats, bench and other pressing movements, pullups, rows and other pulling movements, DB snatches, cleans etc. Bang for your buck exercises. The set/rep scheme varies a lot, depending on the individual, and what time of the season, fights coming up etc. Right now we're doing a lot of stuff at 3sets of 8 reps to get a little muscle, and I'll go as low as 3 sets of 3 reps, even singles, at heavy weights when we get a little further along.

We do a lot of different stuff for explosiveness as well, light DB punching drills, med ball programs etc., during the season, to convert some of that gained strength to speed and explosiveness.

Comment

Since none of my fighters are anywhere close to their strength potential, I use a very general one. Deadlifts, squats, bench and other pressing movements, pullups, rows and other pulling movements, DB snatches, cleans etc. Bang for your buck exercises. The set/rep scheme varies a lot, depending on the individual, and what time of the season, fights coming up etc. Right now we're doing a lot of stuff at 3sets of 8 reps to get a little muscle, and I'll go as low as 3 sets of 3 reps, even singles, at heavy weights when we get a little further along.

We do a lot of different stuff for explosiveness as well, light DB punching drills, med ball programs etc., during the season, to convert some of that gained strength to speed and explosiveness.
        Thanks, I was doing weights for hytrophy (mostly compound stuff) before I started boxing after a longgg layoff. But since I started boxing a couple of months ago I havent done much weights at all, I am boxing training 4-5 days a week and really am just concentrating on general conditioning, lots of heavybag work, shadow boxing, skipping, some running, not much else really (not even push-ups), the body gets enough of a pounding!. My weight is about right now at 74 kgs, if I fight again (pro) it will be middleweight 72.6 kgs. Being 188cm though I want to remain strong,

SO, I have started weight training two days a week.

One day - All about 6-8 reps x 4 sets -Bench press, shoulder press, triceps, chin-ups (chins to failure each time)

Second day - lunges 8 reps x 3 sets, Deadlifts 8 reps x 3 sets, Rows 8 reps x 3 sets, Squats 10-12 reps x 4 sets,

The other 4 days boxing training and one day off.

Does this sound okay, too little, too much? appreciate your advice!

Comment

Eventually you should lift heavier, like 3 sets of 3, to really hit get to the strength part, but it looks okay I guess. Is your weight going up, down or staying in place? Do you feel like you can recover properly for your boxing training (a little sorenes once in a while is okay)? Are you improving your lifts? Those are the basic things that should give you a clue about how well your program is working for you. If either one of those factors become a problem, it's definitely time to change up your program. I'd recommend you do that program for 6-8 weeks, then do real easy work for one week, before you go lower reps/higher weight. (I'm assuming you don't have a fight around the corner, in which case this would be a whole different situation)

If you're at 74kg right now, making 72.6 shouldn't be a problem if you turn pro. You should be able to sweat that off in the final 24 hours before weigh in.
          Well, if your fat percentage is 8 or lower, it might be a little difficult...

Comment

Eventually you should lift heavier, like 3 sets of 3, to really hit get to the strength part, but it looks okay I guess. Is your weight going up, down or staying in place? Do you feel like you can recover properly for your boxing training (a little sorenes once in a while is okay)? Are you improving your lifts? Those are the basic things that should give you a clue about how well your program is working for you. If either one of those factors become a problem, it's definitely time to change up your program. I'd recommend you do that program for 6-8 weeks, then do real easy work for one week, before you go lower reps/higher weight. (I'm assuming you don't have a fight around the corner, in which case this would be a whole different situation)

If you're at 74kg right now, making 72.6 shouldn't be a problem if you turn pro. You should be able to sweat that off in the final 24 hours before weigh in.
            Well, if your fat percentage is 8 or lower, it might be a little difficult...
            Thanks for the advice! I was about 78 when I started boxing training so I have gradually lost weight. I still have a little fat I can lose. I will increase the weight and drop the reps a little, its just hard with squats because I havent go a squat rack.
            cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
              its just hard with squats because I havent go a squat rack.
              cheers
              I assume you have a barbell. You can try hack squats. You hold the barbell tight under your ass and squat away. Hits the quads more but glutes less I found.

Or if your really ****ed when it comes to weights you can load a backpack full of weights or rocks and grab the heaviest db's you got. Ive got to do that since I'm equipmently impaired somewhat, I wear my weighted vest too. When its all said & done Ive got 230lbs on me. Theres always a way. Squats are the only exercise I have to do stupid stuff to manage thank god.

Comment

Originally posted by Landon S View Post
                I assume you have a barbell. You can try hack squats. You hold the barbell tight under your ass and squat away. Hits the quads more but glutes less I found.

Or if your really ****ed when it comes to weights you can load a backpack full of weights or rocks and grab the heaviest db's you got. Ive got to do that since I'm equipmently impaired somewhat, I wear my weighted vest too. When its all said & done Ive got 230lbs on me. Theres always a way. Squats are the only exercise I have to do stupid stuff to manage thank god.
                Thanks for the tips

Comment

Working...
                X