No announcement yet.

Badou Jack vs Lucien Bute & James Degale vs Rogelio Medina Apr 30th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badou Jack vs Lucien Bute & James Degale vs Rogelio Medina Apr 30th

Badou Jack and James DeGale are on a collision course, but first, they’re going to face separate opponents on the same card.

Jack will put his WBC super middleweight belt on the line vs. Lucian Bute in the main event of a Showtime-televised card on April 30 (10 p.m. ET) from a site to be determined. DeGale will defend his IBF super middleweight title against mandatory challenge Rogelio Medina in the co-feature.

Showtime Sports boss Stephen Espinoza told USA TODAY Sports that the winners have agreed to face each other on the network before the end of the year. Jack and DeGale are the favorites, but contracts are being finalized with language that the winners head immediately to a 168-pound unification bout.

Both Bute and Medina are replacement opponents. Jack and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. were in talks, but the son of a legend injured his foot and is on the sideline. Medina steps in for Jose Uzcategui, who is ill.

Jack-Bute figures to be better than the original bout. Bute, a former super middleweight champ, pushed DeGale to the limit in November and proved he isn’t washed up. Medina, whoever, isn’t a worthy challenger, though it’s a mandatory so DeGale had little choice.

Medina (36-6, 30 KOs) was knocked out by Jack in 2013 and also owns losses to middling fighters like Marcos Reyes and Jonathan Gonzalez.

DeGale (22-1, 14 KOs) should have no problem dispatching him. The 30-year-old became the first Olympic gold medalist from England to win a world title when he beat Andre Dirrell in May.

Jack (20-1-1, 12 KOs) didn’t seem like anything special, but improved in a big way with a breakout 2015 campaign. The 32-year-old Swede beat Anthony Dirrell (Andre’s brother) to win the title in April and then defended it successfully against George Groves (who handed DeGale his only loss) in September.

For Bute (32-3, 25 KOs), it’s a title-shot well-earned. But it’s also probably the last chance for the 36-year-old Canadian.

If all goes according to best laid plans, we’ll get a mouth-watering matchup between Jack and DeGale in the fall.

Source

Bute getting another shot at a title? this bum is one of the luckiest men in boxing. Let me guess the venue is going to be in Canada? on the flip side one of the few euros I like ' Chunky' is going to put on a show - I hope he brings his sister.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
      Bute getting another shot at a title? this bum is one of the luckiest men in boxing. Let me guess the venue is going to be in Canada? on the flip side one of the few euros I like ' Chunky' is going to put on a show - I hope he brings his sister.
      lol.. His sister is pretty hot no doubt. I think the fight is more likely to be in Las Vegas because otherwise it becomes the "Lucien Bute Show" when there are two world champs who aren't even from Canada competing on the same card, while Bute isn't even a world champ. Can't see how Degale benefits from fighting Medina in Canada, unless Bute beat Jack, then it would set up the rematch nice. But then again, Degale already went to the challenger's backyard to fight him in Canada so a Bute rematch would probably be more likely in the UK. Plus no guarantee Bute beats Jack anyway. Canada is probably out unless there's some major paydays on the line for both Degale and Jack to fight there.

Comment

Bute is 36? Damn!

Comment

The funny thing is that Bute (if he shows in the same shape he was in the DeGale fight) has a serious chance to beat Jack... But the obvious course of events leads to the projected Jack-DeGale collision...

(They will fight in Canada, where Bute still sells some seats; the others sell shit in America, I suspect.)

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            The funny thing is that Bute (if he shows in the same shape he was in the DeGale fight) has a serious chance to beat Jack... But the obvious course of events leads to the projected Jack-DeGale collision...

(They will fight in Canada, where Bute still sells some seats; the others sell shit in America, I suspect.)
            Badu Jack is s foreigner...but hes slick so we adopt him.

Comment

Badu Jack is s foreigner...but hes slick so we adopt him.
              It's OK that you adopted him -- then set up a 15,000-20,000 seats venue in the U.S. for this card and sell better than they will sell it Canada (with Bute in the main feature)...

Comment

Jack will have his hands full.

Comment

Originally posted by No Diggity View Post
                  Bute is 36? Damn!
                  Yep, but these days quite a few top fighter are in their 30s!

Comment

People might not like Jack vs bute but its definitely a better fight than Chavez Jr... He is not a serious contender. Just lives of his dads name and being a friggin cruiser who can/could drain to 160-168...he gets beat by every guy @ 175 n has done nothing @ 68

Bute is a former champion.... He has only lost to the best 68ers around and is serious about his career unlike Chavez

Its a good cross roads fight...can Jack further his career and establish himself as an elite 68er or is this bute last hurrah.

I'm actually looking forward to it...if chunky gets by his mando....Jack vs degale settles who is the #1 68er

The ring has Abraham # 1...IMO he hasn't faced the comp or won enough of his big fights to be #1 @ 68
                    Last edited by therealpugilist; 03-12-2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X