Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you predicted all PBC fights so far?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
    Totally different with GGG. He's been having problems securing the best fights. Was scheduled to fight Pirog but Pirog got injured and pulled out. Was scheduled to fight Chavez jr but Chavez jr pulled out. Tried to get Sergio Martinez and failed. Has tried to get Cotto and failed. Among others. The difference is Haymon has strategic match making going on, so that his guy he wants to win most likely wins. GGG is a victim of not so great 160 division and a lack of willingness of the top names to fight him. Completely different.

I have no problem with showcasing young guys like Spence, that's normal, and those fights should be undercard fights on like Spike or B.E.T or whatever. My concern are the showcase fights for already established fighters like Stevenson, Broner and the likes. These guys should be ready to fight the best now. This is just the beginning of PBC, so we have a long ways to go. I'm merely expressing my concerns.
    Come on Natas. HBO is not forcing their contracted money guys (cotto, canelo,ward) to fight GGG and is approving mediocre opposition for GGG when he can't get fights with who he wants. It's not the same-but I would expect if Haymon can't get SPence in with who he wants to fight, the same thing will happen.

Those will happen as well. No different than the Kov/Caparello for instance.

I'm not jumping down your throat. I'm just saying there are certain staples of the sport that Haymon is not going to deviate from as it would be detrimental.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
      I agree there are alot of emotional responses but if people can get passed their emotional thoughts and responses, I think the fights are pretty easy to call & its kinda easy to tell who Haymons favorite kids are.
      Well picking the winner in a fight is kind of easy there are only two choices as no one ever picks draw.

There is almost always an A side (or house fighter) that is the one getting pushed, so this is not just a PBC or Haymon thing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Come on Natas. HBO is not forcing their contracted money guys (cotto, canelo,ward) to fight GGG and is approving mediocre opposition for GGG when he can't get fights with who he wants. It's not the same-but I would expect if Haymon can't get SPence in with who he wants to fight, the same thing will happen.

Those will happen as well. No different than the Kov/Caparello for instance.

I'm not jumping down your throat.
        Why wouldn't HBO approves the ranked opponents GGG has been fighting? They want him on HBO, he's popular and he's fighting the best guys he can. They cannot force Cotto, Canelo & Ward to fight GGG that's crazy talk (Cotto has no contract with HBO btw, Canelo isn't officially a middleweight and I'm sure HBO would prefer Canelo vs Cotto first as that's probably the 2nd biggest fight in boxing and Ward is at 168 who is demanding tune up fights (his next fight isn't even going to be on HBO)). Eveyone GGG has fought recently was a top 10 ranked MW besides Rosado. HBO wants bigger fights for him as well, they wanted the Chavez fight, they wanted a Cotto fight. Again, totally different scenario as GGG can only fight who's available to him. He's at 160 and 160 is what it is.

Again, what I'm talking about here are showcase fights for established fighters. Stevenson vs Bika, Broner vs Molina, Abner Mares vs Reyes, etc. I want PBC to be successful but with nearly 200 fighters in his stable, we should expect a bit better than this. If Garcia vs Peterson is the best he has to offer then yes, I'm going to be concerned. I want this to really take off and give boxing a much needed boost. We don't need anymore Bika vs Stevenson and Broner vs Molina type fights. He has a hugely deep stable, so hopefully the competition continues to get better and better.

I'm just saying there are certain staples of the sport that Haymon is not going to deviate from as it would be detrimental.
        Well than that's going to be a problem because the way Haymon has done things over the years up until now hasn't been great for boxing. He really needs to put everything into this PBC boxing and make really competitive fights. That's what matters most here if this thing is really going to take off. As boxing fans that's what we all want. I don't care who is leading the ship, as long as the ship reaches it's destination.
        Last edited by ИATAS; 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
          Why wouldn't HBO approves the ranked opponents GGG has been fighting? They want him on HBO, he's popular and he's fighting the best guys he can. They cannot force Cotto, Canelo & Ward to fight GGG that's crazy talk (Cotto has no contract with HBO btw, Canelo isn't officially a middleweight and I'm sure HBO would prefer Canelo vs Cotto first as that's probably the 2nd biggest fight in boxing and Ward is at 168 who is demanding tune up fights (his next fight isn't even going to be on HBO)). Eveyone GGG has fought recently was a top 10 ranked MW besides Rosado. HBO wants bigger fights for him as well, they wanted the Chavez fight, they wanted a Cotto fight. Again, totally different scenario as GGG can only fight who's available to him. He's at 160 and 160 is what it is.

Again, what I'm talking about here are showcase fights for established fighters. Stevenson vs Bika, Broner vs Molina, Abner Mares vs Reyes, etc. I want PBC to be successful but with nearly 200 fighters in his stable, we should expect a bit better than this. If Garcia vs Peterson is the best he has to offer then yes, I'm going to be concerned. I want this to really take off and give boxing a much needed boost. We don't need anymore Bika vs Stevenson and Broner vs Molina type fights. He has a hugely deep stable, so hopefully the competition continues to get better and better.

Well than that's going to be a problem because the way Haymon has done things over the years up until now hasn't been great for boxing. He really needs to put everything into this PBC boxing and make really competitive fights. That's what matters most here if this thing is really going to take off. As boxing fans that's what we all want. I don't care who is leading the ship, as long as the ship reaches it's destination.
          As far as GGG goes-I think HBO could have forced the issue more. The Chavez Jr fight fell through because Arum attached stips to it. HBO had Lampley say on air that a GGG/Ward fight wasn't good before his management issues.

Yes, I know that you mean established fighters. I just think that's going to happen a little same as it has on HBO. I expect one showcase fight a year for established guys.

What he's done hasn't all been bad. Last year was last year. SO far this year he has made the fights people have wanted. I agree that the best plan is to keep making the best fights.

The reality is that fighters generally have 1 showcase out of 3 fights in a given year. SOme posters, not you, are suggesting Haymon fighters can only fight the best fight each fight out. That simply doesn't happen.

Comment

I dont know about anyone else but I haven't been able to get to excited about PBC other than its BOXING on national television. Other than that, the matches have all been predicted before they've fought. It kind of seems like there will be a "Floyd Mayweather" in every division, meaning there will be 1 guy at the top of each division(s) with virtually no threat to them. PBC will continue to make $ off the haters and underdog lovers without worrying about facing an upset to one of their favored.
            They have had like 3 cards...

QUILLEN-lee
            Peterson-garcia
            Thurman-ghost
            Were all legit fights

What fights would you make if your Haymon if your trying to make PBC

Comment

Out of curiosity-have your predictions on the showtime and HBO fights this year been 100% correct?
              Truthfully no but I havent been surprised at any outcomes either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                They have had like 3 cards...

QUILLEN-lee
                Peterson-garcia
                Thurman-ghost
                Were all legit fights

What fights would you make if your Haymon if your trying to make PBC
                I think Maidana vs Thurman wouldve been better. Considering Ghost punches as fast as old people screw and is about as active (career wise) as a granny on top. Mares vs Russell wouldve been better than Johnny Gonzalez considering styles & age. But Berto vs Lopez was an evenly matched battle of the shopworn I will admit.

Comment

I think Maidana vs Thurman wouldve been better. Considering Ghost punches as fast as old people screw and is about as active (career wise) as a granny on top. Mares vs Russell wouldve been better than Johnny Gonzalez considering styles & age. But Berto vs Lopez was an evenly matched battle of the shopworn I will admit.
                  All those fights you mentioned may still happen..they have a lot of shows to fill, why do it in the first few shows..

Why rush those fights to casuals when casuals aren't ready to appreciate it yet because they have no idea who thurman, mares, etc are..

Let all the "name" fighters get some exposure the first few shows, and it will make it bigger when they do fight on say show 10.

Comment

As far as GGG goes-I think HBO could have forced the issue more. The Chavez Jr fight fell through because Arum attached stips to it. HBO had Lampley say on air that a GGG/Ward fight wasn't good before his management issues.
                    Before his management issues? Ward has had management issues for a couple years, only recently has been free from management issues with his signing to Roc Nation and release from Goossen Tutor. 2+ years prior to that GGG vs Ward wouldn't have made any sense. HBO can't force guys like Cotto or Canelo to fight him, especially since they want them to fight each other first. As for Chavez, that's not on HBO or GGG, that's on Arum for asking for a one fight extension, Haymon since Chavez just signed with him and surely Haymon was advising him what to do, and Chavez himself. GGG did everything he could do.

Yes, I know that you mean established fighters. I just think that's going to happen a little same as it has on HBO. I expect one showcase fight a year for established guys.

What he's done hasn't all been bad. Last year was last year. SO far this year he has made the fights people have wanted. I agree that the best plan is to keep making the best fights.

The reality is that fighters generally have 1 showcase out of 3 fights in a given year. SOme posters, not you, are suggesting Haymon fighters can only fight the best fight each fight out. That simply doesn't happen.
                    That's why I say we have to wait and see. So far its been OK, not great, not bad, but certainly better than last year. He hasn't really made any fights we all demand to see, I don't think there was any huge demand for Thurman vs Guerrero or Garcia vs Peterson, but both are solid and make sense for the divisions they're in. Solid fights. Fans are happy with those two fights. Quillin vs Lee and others aren't exactly fights fans have been asking for, but it's not bad either (minus the mismatches so far like Stevenson Bika, broner molina etc). It's been a mixture of good, ok and bad. What I'm hoping for, and this is what I've saying from the start, is a consistently good product. That's what will make PBC successful. Consistency is key. Takes time to build all of this so I'm not expecting every single fight to be great, but I am hoping for more.

Comment

Working...
                    X