Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Referees are the best officiators in the world right now...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Referees are the best officiators in the world right now...

I haven't got time to go through them all, so I've selected the current top three of great refs from the UK:

1. Phil "Fair Shake" Edwards

Strengths: As his nickname suggests, Phil is known for giving boxers a fair chance, and gives them every opportunity to beat the standing three count.

Weaknesses: Phil finds his home life troubled, as no matter how many times he tries to boil an egg, it always comes out runny.

2. Howard John "Safety First" Foster

Strengths: Howard will always have a fighter's well being at heart, and whether it's allowing Froch to continue after he was nearly KTFO, or stepping in when George Groves took one punch, he's another top officiator who has the interests of all fighters at heart.

Weaknesses: Guilt. Howard repeatedly blamed himself for letting Groves take two glancing blows, which could have been fatal to his health.

3. Terry "Life Saver" O'Connor

Strengths: A caring man, Terry has come in for some criticism, but has been known for his kind actions, like carrying Nathan Cleverly to his stool, or saving Manfredo Jr. from a savage battering against Calzaghe, with some of the hardest punches ever thrown in a ring. To this day the Manfredo family send flowers to O'Connor, thanking him for saving their son's life.

Weaknesses: False accusations of bias. Whether it's letting the British Amir Khan go on when he was completely KTFO, or stopping the American Manfredo Jr., O'Connor can't do right for doing wrong in some fan's eyes. The phrase "damned if you do, damned if you don't" was invented for poor old Terry, and he'll doubtlessly get criticised for every British fighter he helps out and every foreign fighter he pulls out over the next few years - the poor guy can't win.

Just bubbling under the top three: Ian John Lewis. A man whose catchphrase is "I am the referee", just in case the two boxers wonder why a man in a bowtie is giving them instructions in the centre of the ring. Lewis is constantly helpful throughout his life like this, and tells his wife when he's on the job "I am your husband, and I am sticking my penis inside your vagina."
    Last edited by ; 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM.

British refs are as bad as American judges....

Comment

Who's the ref that can't count up to 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Public_Enemy View Post
        Who's the ref that can't count up to 10?
        First entry.

Comment

British Referees are the best officiators in the world right now...
          FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Comment

Terry is my favorite out of all, the way he cared for Cleverly's well being was inspirational to watch. All referees should carry themselves like this man does.

Comment

did they get an "official" ruler / yardstick on carl froch's dick yet?

i'm guessing 10+ and nice looking.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                First entry.
                This thread is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
                  Terry is my favorite out of all, the way he cared for Cleverly's well being was inspirational to watch. All referees should carry themselves like this man does.
                  What people don't realise about Terry is that he's actually psychic. When he got between Cleverly and Kovalev, lots of unknowledgable critics thought he was going to stop the fight, before hearing the bell and pretending otherwise - the sheer fact of the matter was, Terry mentally sensed the bell was due to sound, and got in early just to signal the end of the round.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    did they get an "official" ruler / yardstick on carl froch's dick yet?

i'm guessing 10+ and nice looking.
                    While this is absolutely important, there's a more important question to ask;

Cut or uncut?

Comment

Working...
                    X