No announcement yet.

How can I improve head movement?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSwiftAsSa5in View Post
    I have trouble weaving the hooks.What can I do to get hit less? Does bending my knees while weaving help?
    Read Side bends in peek-a-boo. Detailed study of the first type of evasive moves using examples by Mike Tyson.

http://www.sugarboxing.com/developme...-boxer-part-ia

and references therein.

Comment

I would recommend that you practice and learn how to control distance to keep from getting hit before practicing your slipping.

Get your eyes in tune with distance, learn to control that distance with your feet/movement, and then start throwing in the slips.

Get those eyes 'in shape', First. If you train diligently and consistently you will ust end up in shape.

You gotta feel the rythme of the fight before you can learn to effectively work between it.

Be patient and get those eyes sharp. Your eyes are the most important thing that you have once that bell rings.

Slips should consist of as little movement that is needed to make a shot miss.

Get a piece of tape and put it on the mirror right in the middle of your face. Move your head to the left just enough to where your ear clears the tape. Then do the same slipping to the right so that your ear is just outside the tape by an inch or less. Then slip left and then slip back right in one sequence. Keep those ears tight to the line. Repeat 1000's of times.

Hooks you want to get under, leaning away from hooks will leave you right at the end of the shot, not a good place to be...
      Last edited by Rockin'; 02-11-2015, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        I would recommend that you practice and learn how to control distance to keep from getting hit before practicing your slipping.

Get your eyes in tune with distance, learn to control that distance with your feet/movement, and then start throwing in the slips.

Get those eyes 'in shape', First. If you train diligently and consistently you will ust end up in shape.

You gotta feel the rythme of the fight before you can learn to effectively work between it.

Be patient and get those eyes sharp. Your eyes are the most important thing that you have once that bell rings.

Slips should consist of as little movement that is needed to make a shot miss.

Get a piece of tape and put it on the mirror right in the middle of your face. Move your head to the left just enough to where your ear clears the tape. Then do the same slipping to the right so that your ear is just outside the tape by an inch or less. Then slip left and then slip back right in one sequence. Keep those ears tight to the line. Repeat 1000's of times.

Hooks you want to get under, leaning away from hooks will leave you right at the end of the shot, not a good place to be...
        Excellent post. Working on distance first will help you to become attuned to picking up those subtle patterns of movement and postural cues that indicate when a punch is about to be thrown without actually being at a range where you're more likely to get clocked.

Like Rockin' says it's all about getting your eye in. There's a lot of visual information that is being thrown at you but with practice you'll start to naturally 'chunk' that information together and that will make all the difference to your reaction speed.

The post reminded me of something I read a while ago so I've just dug it out. The example that was used was tennis:

"When Roger Federer returns a service, he is not demonstrating sharper reactions that you or I; what he is showing is that he can extract more information from the service action of his opponent and other visual cues, enabling him to move into position earlier and more efficiently than the rest of us, which in turn, allows him to make the return."

And in a rather more wordy explanation:

"As Janet Starkes, professor emeritus of kinesiology at McMaster University in Canada has put it, 'The exploitation of advanced information results in a time paradox where skilled performers seem to have all the time in the world. Recognition of familiar scenarios and the chunking of perceptual information into meaningful wholes and patterns speeds up processes."

So there you have it, backed up by a professor emeritus. You wont go wrong following Rockin's advice.

Comment

Working...
        X