any right handed southpaws on here??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any right handed southpaws on here??

hi guys,
    I'm a right handed southpaw, I've tried orthodox but I prefer right hand/foot forward as I can move more fluidly and dart in and out quicker.

Anyone else a right handed southpaw?

How did you get better at the straight left? Whenever I throw it in sparring I seem to over commit and leaves me off balance and open to right hook to the body. Being my weaker hand it seems slower to so I can't shoot it back n forth like my right.

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
    hi guys,
    I'm a right handed southpaw, I've tried orthodox but I prefer right hand/foot forward as I can move more fluidly and dart in and out quicker.

Anyone else a right handed southpaw?

How did you get better at the straight left? Whenever I throw it in sparring I seem to over commit and leaves me off balance and open to right hook to the body. Being my weaker hand it seems slower to so I can't shoot it back n forth like my right.
    having a funny cross is the price the majority of people pay when they decide to be a convert.

Comment

I was a right handed southpaw for ages......from a family of right handed southpaws going back to the time of Jack Dempsey!

I do try and train both stances equally now though because my straight right from the orthodox stance is stronger than any of my right lead punches from the southpaw stance!!

As for the straight left, a half decent opponent will figure out fairly quickly that it isn't your strongest punch and exploit that by circling to your left and looking for openings for their right hand (hook or straight). This in turn would mean that your right hook would have further to travel for contact.

I also noticed that it was easy for my left to drop below chin level. I'd honestly consider adjusting to orthodox or seriously improving your left hand.

Strangely I found myself using my left hand more as a left hook than as a straight, the punch seemed far stronger than my straight left. Check out Calzaghe vs Eubank round one (the knockdown punch) to see how to throw this punch well from the southpaw stance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        I was a right handed southpaw for ages......from a family of right handed southpaws going back to the time of Jack Dempsey!

I do try and train both stances equally now though because my straight right from the orthodox stance is stronger than any of my right lead punches from the southpaw stance!!

As for the straight left, a half decent opponent will figure out fairly quickly that it isn't your strongest punch and exploit that by circling to your left and looking for openings for their right hand (hook or straight). This in turn would mean that your right hook would have further to travel for contact.

I also noticed that it was easy for my left to drop below chin level. I'd honestly consider adjusting to orthodox or seriously improving your left hand.

Strangely I found myself using my left hand more as a left hook than as a straight, the punch seemed far stronger than my straight left. Check out Calzaghe vs Eubank round one (the knockdown punch) to see how to throw this punch well from the southpaw stance.
        did you cause many knockdowns or knockouts with your right hook? I found the southpaw right hook to be the most awkward punch in boxing. the problem though is that the majority of southpaws are left hand happy.

Comment

i'm sorry i didn't read the text i was staring at your sig

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
            i'm sorry i didn't read the text i was staring at your sig
            Same here...

But going off the title I'll assume either

A) your left hand is worthless so you're compensating by putting your dominant hand foreward (i did that for a long time)
            B) its just more natural to you, and you enjoy how uncormfotable it makes orthadox fighters.

If you're going to be a right handed southpaw, you have to make a committment to work on that left hand... remember that rear hand is supposed to be your power hand.
            You'll have to spend WAY more time working on it than if you stood in a conventional manner.

So if you're choosing soutpaw because your left is weak and awkward and its frustrating to try to get better with it, so you're using your stance as a shortcut, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Noticed you have Bruce Lee in your avatar, i believe he preferred the soutpaw stance... was that an influence?

Comment

Me, but only because it feels right. I can do both (or used to rather...don't box anymore so not sure I count!) but I feel like I was able to get more leverage on my right hand from the southpaw stance if that makes any sense, especially to the body. It feels off throwing a right hand from orthodox, like my footing isn't where it needs to be, so I would always be thinking about the position of my feet even when it was fine. I also feel like I move my body better from southpaw. My left feels about equal to my right, with my left straight feeling a tad weaker than I'd like..but then again, my right straight from orthodox feels like I'm off balance... I mean, I can write, eat, etc with my left almost as comfortably as my right. But I feel left handed when it comes to boxing.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

I have tried orthodox and am not bad at it, but my movement sucks with my left foot forward and I like to be constantly moving. So it was either learn better movement with left foot forward or create more power with left.

I don't do southpaw because my left is so bad, i throw an OK left but not powerful enough to knock anyone down although I have stunned an opponent as I throw it out of rhythm. Tbh I just enjoy fighting southpaw as I can move quicker on my toes.

Any tips on the straight left then? Or just practice it 1000 times every session?

p.s no Lee wasn't my inspiration for southpaw, although I come from a martial arts background so i got comfortable with southpaw from young

Cheers guys

Comment

Don't clinch your left when you try it for a few times(100). So you can get the whip feeling down, then start to clinch your fist right before it full extends. Do that after you get the whip feeling down, and do that for a few times. Then it becomes natural and you'll always throw it like that.

Then again, I am ambidextrous so it's different for me but I prefer to use my right hand.

I switch hit btw. Two, almost totally different styles for both stances.

Comment

A southpaw with a weak left hand is a victim waiting to happen. I'm suprised that people are countering your weak left with right hands.The counter to a southpaw straight left is a left hook; don't see it coming and you turn right into it.
                    I would suggest finding some source that credibly details the mechanics of throwing a straight right hand and mastering it, with your left of course. Punching is technique.
                    If you can learn how to turn guys into it, a southpaw right hook is a substantial weapon. Keep in mind that most go right hand happy when fighting lefties (Why???); just as the counter for a straight left is the left hook, counter their right with your right hook.

Comment

Working...
                    X