No announcement yet.

Where does Hopkins stand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Hopkins stand?

Among the other great middleweights in the history of the games based upon tonight's win?

Top 4 all time

Greb
    Hagler
    Monzon
    Hopkins

he was top 4 before tonight anyway

you cant argue with winning. The guy has ruled the division for 10 years and has made 19 defenses

Comment

Originally posted by jose
      Top 4 all time

Greb
      Hagler
      Monzon
      Hopkins

he was top 4 before tonight anyway

you cant argue with winning. The guy has ruled the division for 10 years and has made 19 defenses
      You think Greb is better than Hagler?
      You cannot really say hopkins has fought any strong opposition, he has fought in a very weak division 19 defences against medicocre opponents does not make him great. tito and de ha hoya were about the best, and they were blown up fighters from lower weight classes.

Comment

What about Sugar Ray Robinson?

Comment

Hopkins is defiently in the TOP 5 best middleweights of all time.

Comment

He's one of the great middleweights of all time.

Comment

You think Greb is better than Hagler?
              You cannot really say hopkins has fought any strong opposition, he has fought in a very weak division 19 defences against medicocre opponents does not make him great. tito and de ha hoya were about the best, and they were blown up fighters from lower weight classes.

I didn't rank them in any real order I just put there names out there.

If I had to I'd probably go
              1. Hagler
              2. Greb
              3. Hopkins
              4. Monzon

He fought the best available to him and thats all you can ask.You can say the same thing for Hagler his best win came over Tommy Hearns a welterweight.

What about Sugar Ray Robinson?
              Robinson is a top 10 middleweight, but he was already on the downside by the time he went up to 160. Robinson did most of his great work at 147.

Comment

Dominating a fighter who is not a natural middleweight does not really make Hopkins greater than the great middleweight champions of past decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Epie2
                  Dominating a fighter who is not a natural middleweight does not really make Hopkins greater than the great middleweight champions of past decades.
                  Some of the best opponents Hagler faced (Hearns, Leonard) and Monzon faced (Benvenuti, Griffith, Napoles) were not natural middleweights. Still, Hopkins i don't think Hopkins is in the top 5.

Here's how i personally see it:

1. Harry Greb
                  2. Sugar Ray Robinson
                  3. Carlos Monzon
                  4. Marvin Hagler
                  5. Stanley Ketchel
                  6. Jake LaMotta

...are ahead of Hopkins. It could be debated that he's on par with Cerdan, Zale, and Walker.

I mainly put an emphasis on level of opposition. Hopkins' has been mediocre with the exception of DLH and Trinidad.

Comment

Lamotta and Ketchel...come on now

stop hating

Comment

Working...
                    X