No announcement yet.

Prime Floyd Mayweather vs. Prime Pernell Whitaker at 147

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike_Tyson23 View Post
    Who do you think wins in this fantasy fight? Floyd said that as a 17 yrs.old kid he sparred with Pernell back in 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBaKrk9ZQ7w

Pernell. Better opposition and output

Comment

Pernell hands down, both have excellent defence. But pernells offense is greater than Floyd.

So I would go with pernell MD ala CJ Ross

Comment

Pernell would whip Floyd's ass.

He was much better defensively. He could fight better in the pocket and could avoid/pick off shots up close. Floyd can't. He relies on distance to be "slick"

Comment

Mayweather would win by ud. His defense was just as good and his offense was much better. Whitaker was already past prime when he fought at 147. His best weight was 135 and his chances of beating Mayweather are better at 135 but I still give Mayweather the edge.

Comment

Floyd health would come first, it's about making smart business decision that would move him up a step and this is not one of them.
            Last edited by ModernTalking; 01-09-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              Pernell would whip Floyd's ass.

He was much better defensively. He could fight better in the pocket and could avoid/pick off shots up close. Floyd can't. He relies on distance to be "slick"
              Well that's just a lie. Floyd is excellent in the pocket

Comment

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
                Floyd health would come first, it's about making smart business decision that would move him up a step and this is not one of them.
                Lmao........close fight but I favor my boy pernell

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                  Lmao........close fight but I favor my boy pernell
                  How could it be close, you can't win what you can't fight .

Comment

They have the versatility to counter whatever approach gets brought, skill for skill it's there and there.

Comment

These are easily the two best boxers I've ever seen in my lifetime.

But my thinking was always, what is Floyd going to do? Counter Sweet Pea? People underestimate how difficult he was to hit. He was crouched, attacked and feinted at awkward angles and was rarely in range to be hit. He's fought MUCH harder hitters than Floyd so I don't see how people can say "Floyd had more power so I pick him". To me, constant pressure and volume are the way to fight Sweet Pea. I can't for the life of me imagine him being outboxed.

And people are underestimating his offense. He threw 800 punches against Chavez. He was not this patient counter puncher with little volume. And he didn't have KO power but he had enough to get the respect of guys like Haugen, Chavez Sr., Ramirez, De La Hoya and others. Ask Hurtado how he feels about Pernell's power.

I would pick Whitaker in a razor thin 115-113 type of fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X