No announcement yet.

James Toney: "I'm going to sit down Couture in the first minute"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
    I really hope James Toney knocks Couture out. Not because I hate Couture, but because it would really shake **** up.

I'm willing to bet that Randy tries to stand with Toney too. He's not going to run across the cage and dive for a single.

If the fight opens up with crazy odds, I'm going to lay a cool hundred on toney
    Randy actually said in an interview that he ain't going to stand with Toney, it would be foolish. He is going to take it to the mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
      That'd probably be Toney's best chance of winning (if not only shot).

For the record, all wrestling matches start standing to. I guess that means Toney is stepping into Randy's domain as well.

But they don't stay that way, i think that's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhaakal View Post
        It's the worst opponent he could choose for himself. Randy is a great wrestler and that means Toney is ****ed. They will probably stand for 30 seconds and then Randy will shoot him down and spank him like he did to Tito.
        It better be 30 seconds of Randy staying far away in kicking range untill he is ready to shoot like Royce used to do, and i don't think Toney chose him in particular, he put out a bunch of names..
        Last edited by res; 05-14-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I can't speak for the guy you quoted, but I think Toney's apparent arrogance toward the MMA game sort of rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I understand that Toney is being Toney, but it can become a bit personal when his comments are perceived as him taking a **** on all non-boxing aspects of MMA, while at the same time appearing to take the whole endeavor lightly all the while (and given his training habits of recent years, this part is most likely not all talk).

I've always been a fan of Toney's, but I've found myself hoping (not to mention expecting) for Randy to shut his mouth. For the record, I'm pulling for Mayorga to win, but will also be quite surprised if it comes to pass.
          Half of what Toney does is theatrical. I would much rather the mouths of certain MMA fans I know of be shut, ones far more unbelievably arrogant than most MMA fans on here (much less most Boxing fans). And their not putting on a show like Toney is.

Mayorga is going to lose in my opinion, Toney has a chance, depends on his strategy and how much training he really has.

Toney is intentionally being secretive, but word is his long time trainer is also a martial artist and he claims to have watched the UFC for a while. He may have been playing around in the gym with this stuff for longer we know of. Anyway his goal is clearly not to outgrapple anyone but to prevent himself from getting dumped on his head long enough to land to the body or head. Odds would go up alot in my mind if this fight were happening next year in Feb some time.
          Last edited by res; 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
            But they don't stay that way, i think that's the point.
            I think the point was the cliched remark which suggests that because a fight starts standing, the beginning portion of the fight is to the advantage of the boxer. My point was that it is sort of a stupid concept, especially when measured against a greco roman guy, as most greco matches actually play out for a majority of the time in the standing clinch.

Of course, if your a division I wrestler such as Chuck Liddell, you may be equipped to nullify wrestlers and dictate that a fight stay standing and in your preferred range, however Toney will not be able to do either of these things.

Comment

It better be 30 seconds of Randy staying far away in kicking range untill he is ready to shoot like Royce used to do, and i don't think Toney chose him in particular, he put out a bunch of names..
              That's not really how Randy fights. He will most likely look to drive Toney against the fence rather than shoot on the legs from open distance.

Comment

Half of what Toney does is theatrical. I would much rather the mouths of certain MMA fans I know of be shut, ones far more unbelievably arrogant than most MMA fans on here (much less most Boxing fans). And their not putting on a show like Toney is.

Mayorga is going to lose in my opinion, Toney has a chance, depends on his strategy and how much training he really has.

Toney is intentionally being secretive, but word is his long time trainer is also a martial artist and he claims to have watched the UFC for a while. He may have been playing around in the gym with this stuff for longer we know of. Anyway his goal is clearly not to outgrapple anyone but to prevent himself from getting dumped on his head long enough to land to the body or head. Odds would go up alot in my mind if this fight were happening next year in Feb some time.
                I realize he won't give away his game plan, and it's just talk. I was just voicing a reaction.

I honestly don't give either Toney or Mayorga much of a chance. That said, I'm really not necessarily opposed to either guy. As I said, some of Toney's remarks have rubbed me the wrong way a little, but at the end of the day it's just talk, and realistically speaking it is just promotion. Once fight time arrives I guarantee that no such thoughts will be on my mind.

Comment

I think the point was the cliched remark which suggests that because a fight starts standing, the beginning portion of the fight is to the advantage of the boxer. My point was that it is sort of a stupid concept, especially when measured against a greco roman guy, as most greco matches actually play out for a majority of the time in the standing clinch.

Of course, if your a division I wrestler such as Chuck Liddell, you may be equipped to nullify wrestlers and dictate that a fight stay standing and in your preferred range, however Toney will not be able to do either of these things.
                  Hmmm, I would say that the person who has the advantage standing is the one who can actually end the fight standing.

Comment

That's not really how Randy fights. He will most likely look to drive Toney against the fence rather than shoot on the legs from open distance.
                    Kind of a dangerous game plan, i would get off my feet so i couldn't get hit.

It's not the same, but Toney has experience with driving people back and getting driven back as well, he was going to be a Football player. Landing shots in a clinch is something you have a lot of experience with in Boxing. Not that any of this will be easy, but these are factors.
                    Last edited by res; 05-15-2010, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Randy is no joke standing, he has dealt with relative ease fighters whom are bigger than him in the past and he has come up with some of the best strategies in the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X