No announcement yet.

HBO desperate for PPV Stars?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO desperate for PPV Stars?

I'm from the UK and usually watch the UK broadcasts but having spent the past month in Korea, i ended up streaming the Golovkin fight from the HBO broadcast.

The end of this broadcast told me everything i need to know. They started talking about how they helped build Manny up as a star and spoke about a bunch of parallels and similarities they could find between Golovkin and Manny...

It seems to me HBO are getting desperate because they lost Floyd a while ago, Manny is on the way out. They have Canelo and Cotto but another loss to Canelo might damage him as a "PPV Star" and a loss to Cotto would do the same, he's approaching 35 too. After that, there's nobody.

They, or their broadcasters are desperate in their search for a guy who brings in the big money, they know it lines all of their pockets. So people talking about Golovkin and his team for the poor PPV sales when it seems to me it's actually HBO pushing the agenda more than anybody. They're trying to force something on to people that doesn't exist. I love GGG but he has no business on PPV right now but his team will go along with HBO because HBO even admitted at the end of the broadcast they had a helping hand in promoting Manny, now GGG.

The guys who work on the boxing shows know their bread and butter is the big money shows. It's another reason why commentary is often one sided, like in the Gonzalez fight, they're promoting their product. It's the same as Sky in the UK. They won't allow anyone to say anything negative about Anthony Joshua or his opponents because he's their next product because they don't have much to fall back on. Froch was their main guy and he's gone, Khan and Brook will only sell a big PPV when they're against each other or genuine household name like Pacquiao or Floyd. So they're in the business of feeding the illusion that Joshua is the future, that he's must watch, that he's a PPV star, so they do everything in their power to make people swallow it, as HBO do with certain fighters. And they know that should a guy like Golovkin or Joshua get beaten, people will point the finger at the fighters saying they weren't great, not at the networks who we're the ones pushing it onto people.

Just for the record, i think Golovkin is that good and a good ticket seller, but PPV? nah not yet, that just smells like HBO desperation in their quest for a new golden boy.

I don't think we'll ever really see guys getting good PPV numbers against limited opposition like we got with Manny or Floyd. Them days are gone and maybe the likes of HBO should accept it or they will keep producing numbers like 97k or whatever it is because thats the reality of the sport and its popularity in the coming years. Everyone's so desperate to line their pockets that they're forcing something that isn't there and it isn't working.

I dunno if they are desperate but yeah, they are running out of PPV stars. Canelo and Cotto and the 3rd and 4th biggest PPV names out there so they can breath a sigh of relief for now. GGG is a work in progress, so I won't write him off just yet and they have guys like Bradley, who can probably do PPV and has done so in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      I dunno if they are desperate but yeah, they are running out of PPV stars. Canelo and Cotto and the 3rd and 4th biggest PPV names out there so they can breath a sigh of relief for now. GGG is a work in progress, so I won't write him off just yet and they have guys like Bradley, who can probably do PPV and has done so in the past.
      Bradley or anyone can do a PPV...it doesn't mean anyone will actually buy it. Not in any big numbers anyway, which is my point.

Even Cotto and Canelo need each other or another big dance partner for PPV. I doubt either does more than 400k on their own. Even Cotto v Martinez didn't do that.

They don't have a guy apart from Manny who can exceed like half a million no matter who's in the other corner, and he won't be here much longer, so they are searching for that next guy who can.

Comment

I don't know if they're desperate, but they are definitely looking for another guy. Canelo is still very young that he can be a PPV star for years to come and, as long as he usually wins, he'll likely do just that and he has a lot of strong competition as well and, presumably, will have a steady stream.

Comment

i dunno about desperate.

i think that's their job to create/find new stars.

there are so few boxing superstars.

ali, ray, delahoya, pac, floyd.

even american atg like hagler, bhop, roy, pernell, holmes weren't superstars.

it's hard to make foreigners superstars too. pac was a fluke.

even american cotto who is supposedly a star barely did 350k vs. known and lineal champ serg.

Comment

Fvcc ppv. it should be done away with completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post

it's hard to make foreigners superstars too. pac was a fluke.

That's why i think they were running parallels with Pacquiao, to try to convince folks that his nationality doesn't matter, you can support him.

When infact is does matter, Pacquiao was a rarity, or fluke as you said. We may never see a non-american guy have that impact in the American boxing scene again. Plus he always had Mayweather as his rival, a guy who many dislike so it kept his momentum going in the hopes they will fight. GGG doesn't have that really. Most of the good fighters at 160-168 could barely fill a living room, nevermind have people pay to watch from their living room.

Comment

I think it's vmore that they have a thin budget and couldn't afford the purses for the fight. You can't build stars on a tight budget. They need to open up their pockets and fully commit to boxing. They already blocked Stevenson vs Kovalev and now Kovalev us being forced into pointless rematches and has to wait for Ward to get back in shape.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                  That's why i think they were running parallels with Pacquiao, to try to convince folks that his nationality doesn't matter, you can support him.

When infact is does matter, Pacquiao was a rarity, or fluke as you said. We may never see a non-american guy have that impact in the American boxing scene again. Plus he always had Mayweather as his rival, a guy who many dislike so it kept his momentum going in the hopes they will fight. GGG doesn't have that really. Most of the good fighters at 160-168 could barely fill a living room, nevermind have people pay to watch from their living room.
                  pac was fortunate.

1 his 1st hbo fight he was a last minute replacement and looked spectacular.

2 he was lucky enough to be on tyson-lennox undercard with millions watching. looked spectacular too.

3. barrera, morales, marquez introduced him to mexican americans. americas most avid boxing fan demo. made him a ppv star.

4 oscar de la hoya a true ppv superstar propelled pac.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                    I think it's vmore that they have a thin budget and couldn't afford the purses for the fight. You can't build stars on a tight budget. They need to open up their pockets and fully commit to boxing. They already blocked Stevenson vs Kovalev and now Kovalev us being forced into pointless rematches and has to wait for Ward to get back in shape.
                    hbo has a huge budget.

problem is pbc is artificially inflating boxer purses.

you know pac-jmm 1.

1 top 10 p4p. 2 top guys in div. 2 champs in div.

hbo paid both $750K.

for a hell of a fight.

now scrubs want $1 million for tuneups.

Comment

Working...
                    X