Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do JMM, Hopkins, Mayweather, Vitaly and Martinez have in common?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do JMM, Hopkins, Mayweather, Vitaly and Martinez have in common?

Above everything else clean life style and tremendous discipline and dedication to the sport of boxing. That's why they have been able to perform at such a high level even at an advanced age.

To me the best fighters in the world are the fighters who perform just as well late into their careers where the perception is that they are past their prime, and yet they have similar or better performances when they were young.

Like can you tell me that the Bhop that beat Morrade Hakkar a better fighter than the guy who beat Jean Pascal? Same thing with Marquez, can you tell me that the JMM that beat Smoke Gainer is a better fighter than the Marquez who beat Pacquiao?

And I've always hated when people talk about Tyson's greatness or his perceived prime. If he was that great he would've had amazing results even when he was in mid twenties. I think the only exception to clean lifestyle and discipline is Duran who is probably the biggest talent and exception in boxing.

Stay Hungry!

"Your focus determines your reality," it couldn't be any more simple than that. I think when a fighter is coming up, and has so many dreams of what he will do. The only way to get him closer to his dream is to train hard. Granted, even among up an comers the work ethics vary, but in the elite fighters their focus and determination catapult them to riches.

The downside of that would be that with increased fame and riches come distractions. Biggie put it best, "Mo money mo problems." One would think that if a fighter became rich and famous he would do everything in his power to preserve that status, but I think once some attain it they're not able to see beyond that status. It's like they run out of ideas about how to challenge themselves and live the rest of their lives.

An elite fighter that's dedicated to the sport will win more often than not, and they also demonstrate a most profound truth, most fights are won and lost not in the ring but out it.

Comment

none ... it's easy to spot the "b1tch" tho

do i need to say floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
        none ... it's easy to spot the "b1tch" tho
        Yeah, the one and only quitter and confirmed steroid abuser out of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
          Yeah, the one and only quitter and confirmed steroid abuser out of the bunch.
          yup , quit before even entering the ring refusing to fight..and rumored to have had failed 3 drug tests...

Comment

What do JMM, Hopkins, Mayweather, Vitaly and Martinez have in common?
            They all ducked Brian Sutherland.

Comment

I don't like how you put Floyd in there alongside guys like Jmm and Vitali.

Vitali is a great example of what a champion should be OUTSIDE THE RING.
              Bernard Hopkins defies age and logic. Great example of true discipline.
              JMM combines both.
              Floyd is a great fighter, but there is no way in Hell he is even close to what Vitali is as a champion role model.

I will actually compare Lennox,Vitali and Wlad as the closest in terms of fighters. Extremely talented super heavy weights (the pioneers really along with Bowe) and overall good role models. (K2 more so than Lewis, but Lewis is still impressive in terms of behavior)

I admire Floyd and Pac, but come on, they are not in the same class as Vitali Wlad or Lennox in terms of 'role models'.

I guess Floyd and Pac are 'champions' in the traditional sense of the word.

Lennox,Wlad, Jmm, and Vitali are champions in the truest sense of the word.

Comment

Working...
              X