No announcement yet.

Lou DiBella on Sergio vs Golovkin: 'A fight that economically makes no sense'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
    some unknown KOs another unkown, looks good, he is the next big thing, and everyone and their mothers is duckin him. lol...

golovkin is a very good fighter. he's not at all an unknown, though he's not the most accomplished pro. he won the world championships (biggest amateur tournament in the world other the the olympics,) and silvered at the '04 olympics.

he's got wins over despaigne(2,) andre dirrel, matt korobov, a knockout of bute, andy lee, in the amateurs. these guys were all top amateurs. almost all olympians and qualifiers at major tournaments.

he's at the point where he's positioned to be a legitimate opponent for too guys at MW. it's unfair to say that martinez or dibella are ducking him because of the money, but it's a fair question for a reporter to ask. he's getting there, is golovkin.

and martinez isn't scared of / ducking anybody. he wants the biggest fights for the most money, and right now that's not golovkin. in a few fights he could be that guy. he's physically ready, and would be a threat, given his technical abilities and his power. the skills are there, and he's 30. Anybody who says martinez is scared doesn't know enough about maravilla martinez, though.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
      Oh here we go, now Martinez is a ducker lol

Jesus ****in Christ lol.
      Why can't he be?

I think its more the fact that Lou Di Bella is a big mouthed hypocrite though.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
        Oh here we go, now Martinez is a ducker lol

Jesus ****in Christ lol.
        So you have no comment?

Comment

Martin Murray fought to a draw in a world title fight and has a decent enough base in the UK.

He may not be a big name world wide, but I'd bet he still brings more to the table than GGG at this point. GGG needs a few good wins first to make him a fight worth taking, financially.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            golovkin is a very good fighter. he's not at all an unknown, though he's not the most accomplished pro. he won the world championships (biggest amateur tournament in the world other the the olympics,) and silvered at the '04 olympics.

he's got wins over despaigne(2,) andre dirrel, matt korobov, a knockout of bute, andy lee, in the amateurs. these guys were all top amateurs. almost all olympians and qualifiers at major tournaments.

he's at the point where he's positioned to be a legitimate opponent for too guys at MW. it's unfair to say that martinez or dibella are ducking him because of the money, but it's a fair question for a reporter to ask. he's getting there, is golovkin.

and martinez isn't scared of / ducking anybody. he wants the biggest fights for the most money, and right now that's not golovkin. in a few fights he could be that guy. he's physically ready, and would be a threat, given his technical abilities and his power. the skills are there, and he's 30. Anybody who says martinez is scared doesn't know enough about maravilla martinez, though.

But you wouldnt say that fight is Martin Murray though.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
              Martin Murray fought to a draw in a world title fight and has a decent enough fan base in the UK.

He may not be a big name world wide, but I'd bet he still brings more to the table than GGG at this point. GGG needs a few good wins first.
              Who did Barker and Murray beat?

Comment

Is Martin Murray actually who they're suggesting for his next opponent?

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                  He is. He may of in the past took on all comers but it's pretty clear that they want no part of this fight. They have taken on far lesser known fighters but are using this excuse time after time. At this point in Martinez's career he deserves some easy pay days but to say they don't want this fight, strictly because of money is pure ignorance.
                  Exactly. Thats my whole problem with DiBella and how he acted when they asked about GGG.

Martin Murray is no cash cow.

Comment

Golovkin is a dangerous fight for anybody. I think Martinez would fight anyone who they put in front of him but he's realistically only got a few more fights left in him and they are going to want to get the most money for the least risk. This is nothing new.

With that said, this is one fight I'd love to see. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Golovkin and I'd really like to see if Martinez could deal with him.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Django~ View Post
                      Who did Barker and Murray beat?
                      Murray fought to a draw in a world title fight in Germany with Sturm and more importantly, is actually a known name in the UK. Barker wasn't a fight anybody wanted, including Martinez, but he was the only person willing to fight Martinez at that point in time.

Martinez has fought tough opponents for not great pay for years, he's now in a position to look for fights that make more money. Like it or not, Murray going to Argentina will probably make him more than GGG.

Comment

Working...
                      X