Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it annoys Ward that hes not popular?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    I don't think there's an issue with promotor Goosen. After all he has provided Ward with top fights and all in his homecountry.

The issue is rather his boxingstyle that is not fanfriendly at all. I do believe that is about to change somewhat though. It was clear in the Dawson fight, that he sat down on his punches wanting to end the fight inside the distance. Furthermore he also seems to have cleaned up his act, so that he is not as dirty as he used to be. That should help as well.
    I agree with this actually. .500 KO percentage isn't going to do much for you to get you to primetime. The Dawson fight may be a good start in the right direction. He should score another stoppage against Pavlik, I'm expecting. That'd bump him up to .556, but more importantly 2 straight stoppages. People want to see guys that can finish fights. I admit, I'm guilty as well of this. I don't mind seeing fights go the distance, but part of the allure of boxing is the unpredictability of it, knowing that it can end at any time. If a guy decisions every opponent (i.e. Malinagi, etc.), I will still watch, but not with quite as much interest. A lot of casuals basically tune in to see knockouts though.

Edit: Of course Mayweather has only 2 stoppages in his last 8 bouts, those being Hatton and the Ortiz debacle, and Ward's 5 fights between stoppages were all very tough fights, I think there is still a public perception when a guy's record is announced and the casual sees a 50% KO ratio that this one may be not worthy of the top dollar. The flip side of course is that Ward propelled his name way upwards over his last 6 fights in the boxing world. I am just speaking of the perceptions. Take away the 5 decision wins in the Super 6 and he has a KO ratio of 67% in fact.

In any case, the whole point was that I agree that he has an opportunity to change the public perception if he continues to fight with the style he used against Dawson. And his performance in the Super 6 was phenomenal, and his goal was probably to simply win every fight and little else.
    Last edited by Drunken Cat; 11-27-2012, 05:07 AM.

Comment

I don't think wards annoyed at all, he's a real humble guy the way he goes on I doubt he gives a damn. The mans a class act

Comment

He either needs to get quite a bit more knockouts or he needs to be a trash talker. He is neither so it really effects his popularity in the boxing world. It's a sad thing since Ward is a great guy, but good guy that doesn't have a general fan friendly style + no trash talking is a bad combination in the boxing world.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHookGarcia View Post
          He either needs to get quite a bit more knockouts or he needs to be a trash talker. He is neither so it really effects his popularity in the boxing world. It's a sad thing since Ward is a great guy, but good guy that doesn't have a general fan friendly style + no trash talking is a bad combination in the boxing world.
          I disagree. It's possible to be humble and be a fan favorite. It's also possible to be a trash talker and be utterly unknown by casuals too.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
            I disagree. It's possible to be humble and be a fan favorite. It's also possible to be a trash talker and be utterly unknown by casuals too.
            I'm not saying it's impossible. But Andre's style doesn't appeal to the non hardcore boxing fanbase excluding the bay area/Oakland fans. He's not knocking guys out left and right and he's a very humble man.

Comment

All Ward has to do is keep winning. They can't deny his greatness then, and people will sit up and take notice when no one can beat him year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                maybe he wishes he was german. Felix sturm probably makes more money than ward, fights garbage guys and is boring as hell. Atleast wlad is talented and there is only garbage to fight in his division.
                Ward could be very popular over here in Europe. Many Europeans hate the unintelligent kind of gangster style or the flash money showing that Broner and Mayweather pull off. Unlike over the pond, we don't care about the money they have. They aren't huge draws over here in Europe. Pacquiao is, and i'm pretty sure Ward could too. I doubt he'll ever capitalise on this though

Comment

Well heres a few reasons why he isnt popular

1. His personality is boring.. He isnt buying Bentleys and cursing every 3 words. Thats what the people want to see.. They dont want to see a well spoken God fearing family man.. Its boring I guess.. Same with Bradley, Dawson and every other black fighter not named Floyd or Broner

2. His style isnt exactly exciting for casual fans, and even to some so called hardcore fans..

With that being said Ward has been my favorite fighter for a few years now, followed by Floyd

Comment

Working...
                  X