No announcement yet.

inconsistent chins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inconsistent chins

2 i can think of corrie sanders got kod by nate tubbs with 1 punch in 2 rds, then later took a beatdown by vitali but never went down. nigel benn got kod by a jab vs watson. took great shots vs eubank/mcclellan

Hearns, Lyle, Lewis

Comment

Arturo Gatti. His chin was weird, it got better and better the more abuse he took. Not like a Tito where he could be flashed, he would get seriously rocked and hurt in the first few rounds, but then as the punishment piled on, his chin would turn to granite. That dude was more determined than anybody I have ever seen.

Comment

Ron Lyle & Arturo Gatti are good shouts.

Larry Holmes is another, IMO.

Comment

khan went from having no chin at all to being able to take the hardest puncher in the division hook to the chin multiple times and still not hit the canvas

Ive watched some prime RJJ fights and he took shots before, toney landed a few decent punches and he didn't hardly flinch. Then later in his career he gets k.o'd by anything.

Comment

I wouldn't call his chin inconsistent, but there is something bizarre about the typically rock-jawed Shane Mosley suffering his only career knockdowns (bad ones, too) to the good, but not great-punching Vernon Forrest.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
              khan went from having no chin at all to being able to take the hardest puncher in the division hook to the chin multiple times and still not hit the canvas

Ive watched some prime RJJ fights and he took shots before, toney landed a few decent punches and he didn't hardly flinch. Then later in his career he gets k.o'd by anything.
              Well I'd say that Khan not only filled out a little bit, but he sure as hell almost went down. Maidana was a hair away from stopping him in the 10th, I thought. 10-8 round easily.

And it was sort of the opposite with Roy. He had to cut a lot of muscle to make it back down from heavyweight and it drained him. Add that with his declining reflexes and you had a bad recipe for a KO there.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post

i'm pretty sure that's got a lot less to do with being consistent than it does with the wear and tear on a boxers' brain and its capacity to diminish his ability to take a punch

Comment

Evander Holyfield and Emile Griffith.

Comment

Lennox Lewis had a inconsistant chin.

He took massive shots from Tua, Klitschko, Mercer, Grant, Holyfield and bruno but gets KTFO twice by single punches against Rahman and McCall.

Comment

Working...
                    X