No announcement yet.

My 3 keys for Chavez vs Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 3 keys for Chavez vs Martinez

A lot of times fans get way too deep into what needs to be done in boxing and sometimes it's just not rocket science. When you have to fighter of identical styles, I believe that's when game plans make a bigger difference and come into play more by the trainer.

In a fight like this one, it's easy to see what each fighter wants to do. Chavez get on the inside, Martinez stay on the outside and box, but I have outlined some things that need to be done by each fighter to come away with the victory.

Keys for Chavez Jr:

1 - He needs to move his head. Against Andy Lee he showed some signs of that but then said his legs cramped on him. He needs to keep his head moving at all times when he comes in and when he finishes his combinations. He should study some fights of his father ironically and copy him.

2 - Use his gloves. Slick, quicker fighters use slips, bob's and weave's to avoid shots but that's not Chavez' strength. He needs to catch the jab more importantly and the hooks and uppercuts on the inside to take less punishment possible in this fight.

3 - Conditioning. Obviously pressure is the key for him but that takes a ton of endurance for 12 rounds so Chavez has to come in the best shape of his life. He has to be relentless against Martinez, constantly moving forward and throwing tons of punches. No more coming in over weight, or losing 20lbs 3 days before weigh in, he has to come almost at weight IMO 1 week prior to the fight.

Keys for Martinez:

1 - Use your legs. Legs are what gets you in and out of distance and sets up your defense and offense. His legs didn't look the same as we are used to in his last fight, he has to do better. Keep moving, keep Chavez chasing and use that jab and super fast left hand to keep him thinking but legs are the key for him.

2 - Distance. Distance is something that is rarely taught anymore in boxing IMO. It can mean the difference between landing a punch or avoiding one. He needs to keep Chavez at proper distance the whole fight, frustrate him and keep him at the end of his shots where the power is.

3 - Hold intelligently. Not hold for survival but hold in a smart way when Chavez does make his way inside. Watch some film of Mayweather Jr or Carlos Molina, two fighter who use clinching on the inside to intelligently and effectively. Hook a glove on the opposite side of the ref, throw your combo and then grab as you take an angle.

If these guys can impose these things, I think they win.

What do you guys think?

Tell me something. What makes you think JCCJ will come in weight?
    What if he pulls a Broner?

Comment

I just don't think he can afford to do that in this fight specifically. If he wants to go 12 rounds with the movement that Martinez has, he has to be in the best shape of his life.

Now if he want's to forgo 2 or 3 lbs or something like that it's different. I think it will be more important how much he has to lose leading up to the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        A lot of times fans get way too deep into what needs to be done in boxing and sometimes it's just not rocket science. When you have to fighter of identical styles, I believe that's when game plans make a bigger difference and come into play more by the trainer.

In a fight like this one, it's easy to see what each fighter wants to do. Chavez get on the inside, Martinez stay on the outside and box, but I have outlined some things that need to be done by each fighter to come away with the victory.

Keys for Chavez Jr:

1 - He needs to move his head. Against Andy Lee he showed some signs of that but then said his legs cramped on him. He needs to keep his head moving at all times when he comes in and when he finishes his combinations. He should study some fights of his father ironically and copy him.
        Definitely something that I noticed. However, Lee didn't have the power to stop Chavez from coming forward, I think Martinez obviously has that.

- Use his gloves. Slick, quicker fighters use slips, bob's and weave's to avoid shots but that's not Chavez' strength. He needs to catch the jab more importantly and the hooks and uppercuts on the inside to take less punishment possible in this fight.
        Right.

- Conditioning. Obviously pressure is the key for him but that takes a ton of endurance for 12 rounds so Chavez has to come in the best shape of his life. He has to be relentless against Martinez, constantly moving forward and throwing tons of punches. No more coming in over weight, or losing 20lbs 3 days before weigh in, he has to come almost at weight IMO 1 week prior to the fight.
        Based on his 30 day, I think this will be very hard.

Keys for Martinez:

- Use your legs. Legs are what gets you in and out of distance and sets up your defense and offense. His legs didn't look the same as we are used to in his last fight, he has to do better. Keep moving, keep Chavez chasing and use that jab and super fast left hand to keep him thinking but legs are the key for him.
        Yea, he has to move like he has in the past. And the thing that will help him here is his power. I can literally see him tagging Chavez with flush left hands while on the move.

- Distance. Distance is something that is rarely taught anymore in boxing IMO. It can mean the difference between landing a punch or avoiding one. He needs to keep Chavez at proper distance the whole fight, frustrate him and keep him at the end of his shots where the power is.
        On the inside is where Chavez wants to fight and that's where his strength is. Sergio can't get pinned in a corner or on the ropes because Chavez does very good work there and the kid can punch.

- Hold intelligently. Not hold for survival but hold in a smart way when Chavez does make his way inside. Watch some film of Mayweather Jr or Carlos Molina, two fighter who use clinching on the inside to intelligently and effectively. Hook a glove on the opposite side of the ref, throw your combo and then grab as you take an angle.
        Not many fighters know how to do this.

many fighters know how to do this.

If these guys can impose these things, I think they win.

What do you guys think?
        You brought up some good and valid points. I think this is a really good fight and one that I'm really looking forward to. I like Martinez to win a UD or possible get Jr out of there late. The thing that bothers me about Jr is his weight how much he has to lose so close to the fight. I mean, he was huge at the 30 day weigh in and I think weighing so much and having to lose that will eventually catch up with him. I see it as an action fight and Jr pressure will definitely test Sergio, IMO, but I think Sergio's ability to move and box will frustrate Jr in route to a UD or again, a late stoppage. Good to see you back, BTW.

Comment

They are who they are. Martinez will be far faster and more skilled, Chavez will move forward eating punches, trying to corner Sergio and impose his size to wear the older fighter down.

The key, the moment where we will probably know how the fight turns out, will be the first round Martinez takes off. He always takes a round or rounds off. If Chavez has taken Martinez's punches well and is still fresh, he can wear Sergio down and do real damage at that point. We will have a good, competitive fight on our hands. If Chavez can't take advantage, whether it's because of lack of skill or because he has not taken Martinez's punches well, he will get broken down and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            They are who they are. Martinez will be far faster and more skilled, Chavez will move forward eating punches, trying to corner Sergio and impose his size to wear the older fighter down.

The key, the moment where we will probably know how the fight turns out, will be the first round Martinez takes off. He always takes a round or rounds off. If Chavez has taken Martinez's punches well and is still fresh, he can wear Sergio down and do real damage at that point. We will have a good, competitive fight on our hands. If Chavez can't take advantage, whether it's because of lack of skill or because he has not taken Martinez's punches well, he will get broken down and stopped.
            Good post and I agree 100% with the bold.

Comment

To me it will all come down 2 "can chavez take Martinez punch"
              If he can and not get hurt, chavez will walk him down and tko him it the 10th I think. If martinez can hurt chavez, chavez gets taken out in 7.

I really don't see thing going the distance

Comment

Good points, I agree with all.

I'd also like to add one for both.

Chavez Jr. needs to CUT THE RING OFF, and not just follow Martinez around, don't give him anywhere to go.

Martinez needs to stay consistently active, no lulls of inactivity for periods of rounds or entire rounds themselves... Chavez will be working the whole time, Martinez can lose rounds quickly by doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post

I think Chavez will take his shots well initially, that's why I think it's very important to catch his shots, use his gloves the way Margarito did in his career. Most think Marg was just a face first brawler but watch his fight vs P. Will for example, he caught a bunch of shots with his gloves and USED to do that very well.

He weighed in at 175 30 days out, right? I don't know if that's too bad considering it's so far out. Let's see...

Comment

I think Chavez will take his shots well initially, that's why I think it's very important to catch his shots, use his gloves the way Margarito did in his career. Most think Marg was just a face first brawler but watch his fight vs P. Will for example, he caught a bunch of shots with his gloves and USED to do that very well.

He weighed in at 175 30 days out, right? I don't know if that's too bad considering it's so far out. Let's see...
                    Dude looked sick at the weigh in against Lee.

Comment

Working...
                    X