No announcement yet.

What if: Ezzard Charles beats Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Exactly and the fact Ezzard Charles a former LHW getting towards the end is your best win is not a good fact on your resume. If he was to lose to this version as he is in this scenario then he wouldn't be remembered as highly. I don't see what's not to get here.
    So, you think Marciano is rated too highly now. That's a whole other discussion.

If he went 1-1 with Charles or hypothetically 2-1 with Charles then he would still be remembered almost as highly.

Again it's a week era, Jim Jeffries was the best of his era at a time he doesn't get stock for that.
    I'm just stating the fact that he would be remembered.

Rocky is universally known now.

You have implied on numerous occasions he wouldn't if he had 1 loss to Charles.

Fact is, he would. And he'd still be held in very high regard.

What I'm saying is he's already there BUT, if you were to rank him say 5 or so then a win against Marciano does not justify a move to the 1 spot. You can have him at No1 right now that's jolly well fine and I wouldn't criticize anyone. The point moreso is if he wins against Marciano it does not mean you can move him 5 places to reach the top spot.
    I can't see how that's logical.

He's already got an argument now, without a win over Marciano, yet, you can't justify him being there if he had a win over a Top 10- for arguments sake Top 15 Hw (without 2 wins over Charles) in Marciano?

Jimmy Young was a hard man to beat.
    Unless you're suggesting beating Jimmy Young is the same as beating Rocky Marciano I again don't see the point in that statement.

What would be the better win in your opinion, this or Greb over Tunney?
    Personally? Greb's win over Tunney.

I'm going to have to ask for the point there. Again.

Well he would still have dominated his era but, not with the same conviction.
    So, we've cleared up he still would have dominated his era.

As opposed to your last response that said he wouldn't.

Yes, however his era was harder to dominate. Lewis would not have lost to anyone on Rocky's resume.
    I don't recall asking who's era was harder to dominate.

You said "Marciano wouldn't have dominated his era if he went 1-1 with Charles"

Yet, you claim Lennox Lewis dominated his era going 1-1 with two bums.

Although, we've now cleared up that Rocky would have infact dominated his era whether he went 1-1 with Charles or not.

Which of course in effect de-bunks your theory that Marciano would not be held in high regard had he gone 1-1 with Charles.

And as for Lennox Lewis not losing to anyone on Marciano's resume? I find that unfair to say with such conviction.

Fact is, Lennox Lewis could easily have lost to a fighter of Ezzards Charles calibur.

The man got knocked into row Z by Hasim Rahman for crying out loud.

Guaranteed the fact Joe Louis had 25 title defences consecutively helps him.
    It wouldn't help him if they were against bums.

It helps him considering who he beat, with such consistency.
    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 03-01-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      So, you think Marciano is rated too highly now. That's a whole other discussion.

If he went 1-1 with Charles or hypothetically 2-1 with Charles then he would still be remembered almost as highly.

I'm just stating the fact that he would be remembered.

Rocky is universally known now.

You have implied on numerous occasions he wouldn't if he had 1 loss to Charles.

Fact is, he would. And he'd still be held in very high regard.

I can't see how that's logical.

He's already got an argument now, without a win over Marciano, yet, you can't justify him being there if he had a win over a Top 10- for arguments sake Top 15 Hw (without 2 wins over Charles) in Marciano?

Unless you're suggesting beating Jimmy Young is the same as beating Rocky Marciano I again don't see the point in that statement.

Personally? Greb's win over Tunney.

I'm going to have to ask for the point there. Again.

So, we've cleared up he still would have dominated his era.

As opposed to your last response that said he wouldn't.

I don't recall asking who's era was harder to dominate.

You said "Marciano wouldn't have dominated his era if he went 1-1 with Charles"

Yet, you claim Lennox Lewis dominated his era going 1-1 with two bums.

Although, we've now cleared up that Rocky would have infact dominated his era whether he went 1-1 with Charles or not.

Which of course in effect de-bunks your theory that Marciano would not be held in high regard had he gone 1-1 with Charles.

And as for Lennox Lewis not losing to anyone on Marciano's resume? I find that unfair to say with such conviction.

Fact is, Lennox Lewis could easily have lost to a fighter of Ezzards Charles calibur.

The man got knocked into row Z by Hasim Rahman for crying out loud.

It wouldn't help him if they were against bums.

It helps him considering who he beat, with such consistency.
      What I am saying is:

Having Charles 1 is fine.
      However if you have him at 5 or so. A win over Marciano does not justify sticking him up 4 places.

That's all I'm saying. Marciano's level does in fact go down if he loses to Charles. Charles was a Light Heavyweight and past prime. Rocky's biggest thing going for him is that he beat everyone there was to beat. That's the thing that makes up for him being in a weaker era.

I've just been saying odd **** in a bid to defend myself from a beatdown here.

Comment

Working...
      X