Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have really watched Sugar Ray Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you have really watched Sugar Ray Robinson?

I see many posts across the internet on various websites, forums, etc.. And many posters always refer to SRR as the greatest fighter of all-time or list him as their all-time favorite and would favor him to beat any fighter from 147-160 and etc..

In no way am I trying to degrade SSR. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But who has actually witnessed this man in his prime or has access to footage of SSR in his prime? Who has actually sat down and studied film on this man and analyzed all of his techniques and skills?

It seems many posters hop on that wagon and automatically proclaim SSR as the greatest based on hear say and on what old timers and media members say. They hear Bert Sugar and just automatically agree with him. In no way am I questioning SSR's greatness, just looking at his list of accomplishments is impressive. And from the footage I have seen of him, he looked like a talented fighter, a fighter ahead of his time. But I can't sit here and say he's the best fighter of all-time, that's a difficult thing to say of any fighter because of the various eras of boxing anyways.

Originally posted by C.Y. View Post
    I see many posts across the internet on various websites, forums, etc.. And many posters always refer to SRR as the greatest fighter of all-time or list him as their all-time favorite and would favor him to beat any fighter from 147-160 and etc..

In no way am I trying to degrade SSR. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But who has actually witnessed this man in his prime or has access to footage of SSR in his prime? Who has actually sat down and studied film on this man and analyzed all of his techniques and skills?

It seems many posters hop on that wagon and automatically proclaim SSR as the greatest based on hear say and on what old timers and media members say. They hear Bert Sugar and just automatically agree with him. In no way am I questioning SSR's greatness, just looking at his list of accomplishments is impressive. And from the footage I have seen of him, he looked like a talented fighter, a fighter ahead of his time. But I can't sit here and say he's the best fighter of all-time, that's a difficult thing to say of any fighter because of the various eras of boxing anyways.
    Don't need to watch. Uncle Roger's word is final.

Comment

People should watch....However with that being said it takes a lot of understanding to know what one is watching. I could show you a slide in a microscope where a major cellular battle is going on....you would see nothing unless you were trained to understand what you were looking at.

Many people think that film, the drumroll of progress all demonstrate superiority with respect to modern boxing....This is wrong. If you know what you are looking at there are many problems with this assumption. Robinson in particular had incredible things he did but they are often subtle. So watch or not one has to know what one is looking for to understand the greatness of any fighter, including Robinson.

Comment

Historical research from experts, that's how we know. And two more things:

It's SRR, not SSR
        A lot of people here disagree with the assessments and rankings of Bert Sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Historical research from experts, that's how we know. And two more things:

It's SRR, not SSR
          A lot of people here disagree with the assessments and rankings of Bert Sugar.
          True about Bert Sugar. He was a great writer, fun to read, imagination to spare. But I tend to think his hyperbole was deliberate.... the real guys in the know would be the trainers who hang around the gym.
          Last edited by billeau2; 11-12-2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

There is footage of Ray Robinson in his prime but I believe it was recorded from the audience rather than an official broadcast.

I've seen as many of his fights at middleweight as I can. There are quite a few. You've got to wonder what he must've looked like in his prime if he's considered past prime there.

Comment

Personally, I think Bert Sugar was a complete pr!ck. I know he forgot more than I ever knew etc etc but every article I read by him was biased beyond belief.

Great to have a drink with. Completely ****e journalist.

I watched plenty of Ray (via video or tv) when I was a kid (70's & 80's) and he had it all.

He didn't have the advantage of modern fighters only fighting once or twice a year for mega amounts or cherry picking opponents. He was f#cking phenomenal.

This is not a shot at any fighters today. We are all creatures of our environment.

And Rays environment produced something extra special...

Comment

heard he was scary at 147lb...but no footage...

Comment

Here's SRR at Welterweight. Great to watch.

Final round of him defending his title against Bobby Dykes.

Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 11-12-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Y. View Post

Yeah watch the Valentines day massacre. Watched his meaningful middleweight fights. Theirs a great highlight video of him on youtube ill find and be back.

Comment

Working...
                    X