Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto: Chavez Fight is Something Attractive To Us

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno if I like the Chavez fight, Chavez is so much bigger than Cotto. I coulda sworn he came into the Zbik fight at like 180. I just don't see Cotto being effective as a MW.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
      damn, no one has faith in Cotto?? It's chavez guys, not sergio martinez.

seriously, all the talk about how top rank is bad for cotto and all that, the truth is TR has done a tremendous job with cotto's career. I think that's the textbook example of how to promote someone (besides a few minor hickups).

And if the money is right, cotto has a chance to win a title in his fourth weight class. You don't get that kind of oppurtinity too often.
      II think he's being set up to fail...

Why would Arum dangle Chavez to Cotto if Cotto is only working 'fight to fight'? I think he sees the apparent weight disadvantages with Cotto/Chavez and if Cotto won't sign long term, then feed him to Chavez.

I think at this point, Chavez is durable and much more stronger than Margarito. I see no way a guy who is 5'7 on a good day will out muscle a 25 year old prime kid who is like 6'1 and will weight 185 pounds on fight night.

If Cotto either has a strict catchweight or a fight night weight limit in his favor, I see no scenario where he is being set up to win that 4th. If Chavez loses, there goes that instant money printing machine fighting Manfredo and the likes.

On even terms, Cotto hurts him. This won't be on even terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
        paper title though

Martinez is the real champ
        of course martinez is the real champ. But technically Chavez has his real belt. This wouldn't be a "silver" belt or a intern belt or anything like that, it is the WBC MW belt.

Granted, it's all BS that the WBC took Martinez's belt away in the first place, but it's the real belt nonetheless.

Comment

So he has nothing in writing with Arum?

I hope that means he'll listen to other offers. He should really just be a free agent like Floyd. Go where the money/opportunity is.

As for Chavez....I'd prefer that fight not happen as it's a lose lose for him. He theoretically should beat him because there's such a vast gap in talent between them, but Chavez will literally outweigh him by 25lbs.

He'll get very little credit if he wins and he'll get KILLED if he loses.

Comment

As much as I like Cotto he is no match for JCC Jr. Cotto is better off fighting Martinez if Martinez would agree to OSDT.

Comment

i like cotto but, he got lucky the doctor stepped in because margarito started catching em good. maybe would have went all 12 but cotto would have looked like he did last time all you cotto fans know this truth in your hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                II think he's being set up to fail...

Why would Arum dangle Chavez to Cotto if Cotto is only working 'fight to fight'? I think he sees the apparent weight disadvantages with Cotto/Chavez and if Cotto won't sign long term, then feed him to Chavez.

I think at this point, Chavez is durable and much more stronger than Margarito. I see no way a guy who is 5'7 on a good day will out muscle a 25 year old prime kid who is like 6'1 and will weight 185 pounds on fight night.

If Cotto either has a strict catchweight or a fight night weight limit in his favor, I see no scenario where he is being set up to win that 4th. If Chavez loses, there goes that instant money printing machine fighting Manfredo and the likes.

On even terms, Cotto hurts him. This won't be on even terms.
                Arum isn't as confident in Chavez as a lot of you guys think. He's been on record saying he's not that great. Arum isn't dumb he knows it's only a matter of time before Chavez gets his ass kicked.

Cotto is Arum's second biggest money maker after Pacquiao. His two fights this year combined for under a million PPV buys (250k against Mayorga, 600k against Margarito). He also doesn't want Cotto to go to Golden Boy and he'll give what Cotto wants for him to stay (or sign another fight or whatever).

It's a win-win for Bob Arum. If Cotto wins, still more great fights to be made. If chavez wins, that certainly would increase his credibility as a real fighter.

Comment

of course martinez is the real champ. But technically Chavez has his real belt. This wouldn't be a "silver" belt or a intern belt or anything like that, it is the WBC MW belt.

Granted, it's all BS that the WBC took Martinez's belt away in the first place, but it's the real belt nonetheless.
                  to be honest, I'm so disgusted by the sanctionning bodies that I truly believe none of those straps make the champions, but the true champions, those who have beaten the right people, give the value to the belts

in other words, none of those belts matter

so it's not a real belt to me, it's the equivalent of trash, cause it has no meaning, no value

Comment

It's a win-win for Bob Arum. If Cotto wins, still more great fights to be made. If chavez wins, that certainly would increase his credibility as a real fighter.
                    Its not really win-win for Arum though unless Cotto is long-term or multi-fight.

Suppose he wins and is still a free agent type? So he has even more options and can really go wherever the money is best and Arum is left with Chavez who now has to start back up fighting cab drivers in Mexico.

Arum only operates in manners that benefits him, so unless Cotto is under a multi-contract deal, this doesn't benefit Arum.

What would Arum really have to offer Cotto after a Chavez Jr fight? Pacquaio and probably Margarito. So Cotto shops for a Canelo, Martinez, Mayweather or whoever is the highest bidder.

If Chavez wins, he can let Cotto go since he won't be viable any more for any big time fights and Chavez will really have bargaining power over someone like Canelo or really anyone else.

Cotto might be loyal, but Arum certainly is not. Its either Pacquaio or jump ship to someone else, unless the guarantee money for the Chavez fight is bananas.

Comment

Martínez will get a shot for "his" belt next year no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                      X